43 dead in South China earthquake; toll to rise

A shallow earthquake hit southwestern China on Friday, killing at least 43 people and damaging more than 20,000 homes. The death toll is expected to rise.

hidden September 07, 2012 13:54:45 IST
43 dead in South China earthquake; toll to rise

Beijing: A shallow earthquake hit southwestern China on Friday, killing at least 43 people and damaging more than 20,000 homes, state media said.

The official Xinhua News Agency said 150 people were also hurt in the quake that hit Yunnan and Guizhou provinces.

An official from the Yunnan provincial government earthquake office, who like many Chinese bureaucrats would not give his name, earlier said 20 people had died.

43 dead in South China earthquake toll to rise

Representational image. Reuters.

Xinhua said the quake destroyed or damaged 20,000 homes. Buildings in rural areas in China are often constructed poorly. In 2008, a severe earthquake in Sichuan province, just north of Yunnan, killed nearly 90,000 people, with many of the deaths blamed on poorly built buildings, including schools.

The US Geological Survey said the magnitude 5.6 quake hit at a depth of 9.8 kilometers (6.1 miles). Shallower earthquakes often cause more damage than deeper ones.

Xinhua said the earthquake hit the border area of Yiliang county of Yunnan and Weining county of Guizhou.

AP

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

China calls for immediate return of PLA soldier held by Indian Army, says he 'went astray' along LAC
World

China calls for immediate return of PLA soldier held by Indian Army, says he 'went astray' along LAC

A Chinese soldier was apprehended at the Pangong lake on the Indian side of the LAC on Friday. China said he lost his way due to "darkness and complicated geography"

China reports 109 new COVID-19 cases; Hebei province accounts for two-thirds of recent patients
World

China reports 109 new COVID-19 cases; Hebei province accounts for two-thirds of recent patients

There were 72 new cases in Hebei province, where the government is building isolation hospitals with a total of 9,500 rooms to combat an upsurge in infections

One out of 22 trapped miners rescued from Chinese mine after fortnight, reports State media CCTV
World

One out of 22 trapped miners rescued from Chinese mine after fortnight, reports State media CCTV

The man, discovered on Sunday in a separate section of the mine to the 10 workers who had already established contact with rescuers, was in 'extremely weak physical condition', CCTV reported