20 injured, including several children, in Afghanistan's Khost after grenade thrown at wedding party; no group claims responsibility

Last August, a suicide bomber from the Islamic State affiliate in Afghanistan killed 63 people at a wedding in Kabul

The Associated Press January 26, 2020 15:54:40 IST
20 injured, including several children, in Afghanistan's Khost after grenade thrown at wedding party; no group claims responsibility
  • Hand grenade attack on an Afghan wedding ceremony wounded at least 20 people, including several children

  • No one immediately claimed responsibility for Saturday night's attack

  • Last August, a suicide bomber from the Islamic State affiliate in Afghanistan killed 63 people at a wedding in Kabul

Kabul: A hand grenade attack on an Afghan wedding ceremony wounded at least 20 people, including several children, a provincial official said Sunday. At least one of the injured children was in critical condition, said Adel Haider, a spokesman for the police chief of the eastern Khost province, which borders Pakistan.

20 injured including several children in Afghanistans Khost after grenade thrown at wedding party no group claims responsibility

File image of Afghan policemen. Reuters

No one immediately claimed responsibility for Saturday night's attack. There was no evidence that the Taliban were behind the attack, although they have a strong presence in the area. Haider said the Taliban's ban on music when they ruled Afghanistan led him to believe that they could have been the culprits.

But it's also common in that part of Afghanistan to settle personal vendettas with such attacks. Haider said police are investigating all possible motives and so far no one has come forward with any information about tribal rivalries involving the wedding party.

All of the injured wedding guests were men, but it was not immediately clear if the groom was injured in the attack, Haider said. Last August, a suicide bomber from the Islamic State affiliate in Afghanistan killed 63 people at a wedding in Kabul, the deadliest attack in the capital in 2019.

The Taliban, which the US hopes will help curb the IS affiliate's rise, condemned the attack as forbidden and unjustifiable. The Taliban control or hold sway over roughly half of Afghanistan, staging near-daily attacks. They usually target Afghan and US forces, but scores of civilians die in the crossfire.

The Taliban and the US are currently holding peace talks in the Gulf Arab state of Qatar, where the Taliban maintain a political office. The negotiations have become bogged down over a mechanism that will end or substantially reduce hostilities.

A reduction in violence would allow a US-Taliban peace agreement to be signed, letting America bring its troops home after 18 years of war. The peace deal would also start negotiations between Afghans on both sides of the conflict to determine what the country's post-war landscape would look like.

Updated Date:

Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro at ₹499 for the first year. Use code PRO499. Limited period offer. *T&C apply

also read

Former Wimbledon champion Conchita Martinez tests COVID-19 positive in Qatar
Sports

Former Wimbledon champion Conchita Martinez tests COVID-19 positive in Qatar

Martínez is the coach of former world No. 1 Garbiñe Muguruza, who is set to play at the Qatar Open from Monday.

Defending champion Roger Federer pulls out of Miami Open, says report
Sports

Defending champion Roger Federer pulls out of Miami Open, says report

Federer's withdrawal is a blow to organizers of the Miami tournament, who were forced to cancel last year's event as Covid-19 chaos left sport in North America at a standstill.

Qatar Open 2021: World No 3 Simona Halep pulls out of tournament
Sports

Qatar Open 2021: World No 3 Simona Halep pulls out of tournament

With Halep missing the top seeds in Qatar are world number one Ashleigh Barty, and Sofia Kenin, fourth in the world and winner of the Australian Open in 2020.