Kenya's president declares Al-Shabab attack in Nairobi as ended; 14 killed; over 700 rescued
Fifteen people have died in an Islamist attack on an upmarket hotel complex in Nairobi, Kenyan police sources said Wednesday, as fresh explosions and gunfire rang out in the siege which stretched into its second day.
Fifteen people, including foreigners, have died in an Islamist attack on an upmarket hotel complex in Nairobi, Kenyan police sources said Wednesday
Al-Shabaab Islamists had attacked the upscale DusitD2 compound on Tuesday night cabturing scores of hostages
Recurrent explosions and gunfire made the rescue operations difficult
There is no official word on how many people may be still be trapped in the area, or how many militants still remain present
Nairobi: Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said Wednesday that all Islamists who had stormed an upmarket hotel complex had been "eliminated" after an almost 20-hour siege that left at least 14 dead.
"I can confirm that... the security operation at DusitD2 complex is over and all the terrorists eliminated," Kenyatta said in a televised address to the nation.
"As of this moment, we have confirmation that 14 innocent lives were lost to the... terrorists, with others injured."
Police sources and a mortuary official had previously reported 15 dead.
Kenyatta said 700 civilians had been rescued throughout the siege, but did not clarify if people were still hiding in the complex. It was not immediately clear how many attackers there were in total.
CCTV footage broadcast on local media showed four black-clad, heavily armed men entering the complex on Tuesday afternoon. At least one of them blew himself up at the start of the attack.
A police source said two attackers had been shot dead Wednesday morning after a prolonged shootout. "The two have red bandanas tied around their forehead and bullets strapped around their chest with several magazines each," the senior police officer said. "Each had an AK47 which has been secured."
Security forces worked throughout the night to secure the compound, which includes a 101-room hotel, spa, restaurant and office buildings, after an attack claimed by Al-Shabaab Islamists on Tuesday afternoon.
At least one suicide bomber blew himself up at the hotel while gunmen sprayed fire before engaging security forces and holing themselves up at the premises as civilians fled or barricaded themselves in their offices awaiting rescue.
After 12 hours trapped inside the complex, a group of dozens of people was freed at 3:30am (1230GMT), according to an AFP journalist at the scene, followed by fresh gunfire and a detonation.
Another police officer said that at one point they had been sure the attackers had been neutralised after a long period without shooting, however gunfire resumed again after 2am. Further explosions and gunfire were heard shortly before dawn, with no official word on how many people were still trapped inside.
'Very confident' attackers
Kenyan police chief Joseph Boinnet said the attack began with an explosion targeting three cars in the parking lot and a suicide bombing in the foyer of the Dusit hotel.
As the explosion and gunfire rang out in the leafy Westlands suburb, hundreds of terrified office workers barricaded themselves in the complex while some fled.
"We have no idea what is happening. Gunshots are coming from multiple directions," said Simon Crump, an employee at an international firm who was hiding with his colleagues.
Crump was among a first wave of people evacuated from the office buildings surrounding the Dusit hotel, after an hour of sustained gunfire.
A number of heavily-armed foreign forces, who appeared to be from embassies based in Nairobi, were at the scene alongside Kenyan security officers.
One survivor rescued from the building told a local television station the attackers were "very confident; they were people who knew what they were doing".
CCTV footage broadcast on television showed four attackers, clad all in black and heavily armed, entering a courtyard in the compound at the start of the assault.
'A flash and a bang'
John Maingi said there had been "a flash of lights and a loud bang" at the Secret Garden restaurant where he works.
"When I peeped outside I saw a human leg which has been cut off. We hid in the room and then some police officers rescued us," he said.
Reuben Kimani, a barista who was rescued after several hours trapped inside the hotel, said he recognised one of the attackers as a client.
"I knew one of them because he had a big scar on one of his hands," he said. "I saw them. They shot six of my friends, four didn't die but two succumbed."
The attack was claimed by the Al-Qaeda-linked Somali group Al-Shabaab, which has repeatedly targeted Kenya since it sent its army into Somalia in October 2011 to fight the jihadist group.
The attack at DusitD2 is the first in Nairobi since gunmen stormed the city's Westgate shopping mall in 2013, killing at least 67 people.
On 2 April, 2015, another Shabaab attack killed 148 people at the university in Garissa, eastern Kenya.
The Westgate attack resulted in many upscale establishments and shopping centres in the capital — including the Dusit — putting up strict security barriers to check cars and pedestrians.
Several Nairobi establishments popular with westerners announced on social media Tuesday that they had closed for security reasons.
In its statement, the group noted the attack came exactly three years after its fighters overran a Kenyan military base in Somalia.
"This attack on Nairobi hotel came as Kenyans and their media are commemorating (the) El Adde attack," it said.
The Shabaab claimed it killed more than 200 soldiers in that assault. The government has refused to give a toll or disclose details.
top Kenya government official says four armed assailants can be seen on closed circuit television footage during the terrorist attack on an upscale mall in which at least 67 people were killed
They are also building the profile of a man who warned a pregnant woman at the mall to flee for her own safety moments before Saturday's attack, he said.
Meticulous planning, local collusion involved in the attack, internal battles within Al Shabab and the Al Qaeda leadership led to biggest ever attack by Al Shabab