12 killed, 14 injured after suicide bomber blows himself up at funeral in Afghanistan
At least 12 people were killed and 14 others wounded when a suicide attacker blew himself up at a funeral in eastern Afghanistan on Sunday.
Jalalabad: At least 12 people were killed and 14 others wounded when a suicide attacker blew himself up at a funeral in eastern Afghanistan on Sunday, officials said.
"The latest death toll has jumped to 12 and 14 have been wounded," Nangarhar governor spokesman Attaullah Khogyani said.
An earlier statement from the governor's office said six people had been killed and 11 wounded.
The attacker struck during the funeral ceremony for a former governor of Haska Mina district who died recently of natural causes, the statement said.
Provincial health director Najib Kamawal confirmed the toll.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack in Nangarhar where the Islamic State group has a stronghold.
It comes days after IS claimed an assault on a Shiite cultural centre in Kabul that left 41 people dead and more than 80 wounded.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro at ₹499 for the first year. Use code PRO499. Limited period offer. *T&C apply
Afghanistan vs Zimbabwe: Visitors' coach Lalchand Rajput hails his team's win in first Test, calls it 'satisfying'
Zimbabwe, led by skipper Sean Williams, thrashed Afghanistan by 10 wickets inside two days at the Shaikh Zayed Stadium in Abu Dhabi to go 1-0 up in the two-Test series.
The White House press secretary said that there's an ongoing process of considering the next steps to ensure peace in the war-torn country
The Pentagon said the strikes were retaliation for a rocket attack in Iraq earlier this month that killed one civilian contractor and wounded a US service member