FP StaffMay 20, 2013 09:55:30 IST
Yahoo Inc's board has approved a deal to buy blogging and social networking site Tumblr for $1.1 billion in cash, the Wall Street Journal reported on Sunday.
This is probably one of Marissa Mayer's biggest acquisitions since she took over Yahoo. According to AllThingsD, Yahoo is keen on fast-growing Tumblr because its younger user base would bolster the older website's "cool factor." Tumblr was founded by co-founded David Karp and Marco Arment in 2007. Karp was only 21 at the time the site was launched and thanks to the buyout he's a lot richer at age 26. Before the buyout, Karp was reportedly worth $200 million.
We take a look at some must-know facts about Tumblr's younger founder and the site he created:
• Karp was born and raised in Manhattan. He's a high school dropout, thought he was homeschooled at 15. Karp taught himself how to code and moved to Japan at 17 to work for tech companies there.
• Karp's personal lifestyle is quite modest. According to this profile on Forbes, minimalism isn't just an esthetic choice. It's the key to freedom. When he travels he avoids making plans more than a few days in advance, even on his trips to Japan, and packs only the sveltest of carry-ons. He lives in a modest 1,700-square-foot loft, with his girlfriend, Rachel Eakley, who is a trained chef.
• According to this New York Times, piece, David Karp and his girlfriend like to zoom around in New York on their Vespa. He even drives the Vespa to work.
• In terms of traffic and users Tumblr is big. According to Quantcast Tumblr had 184 million unique visitors, and 12.1 billion pageviews last month. In fact when the website was launched in 2008, it had 75,000 registered users in just two weeks. According to Tumblr, the website hosts 108.5 million blogs, has over 50.9 billion posts and a modest 175 employees.
• Interestingly Tumblr has no issues with sexually explicit content. According to the company's terms of service, such content is ok as long as it is tagged Not safe for work (NSFW). As this BusinessWeek article points out, some of the most popular blogs on the site are We Want Porn, Above Average Porn, Defcon Porn, Porn Gif Haven, POV Porn, Porn and Weed, and When Tumblr porn goes wrong.The question is how will Yahoo deal with all the porn.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.