Aaron PereiraNov 08, 2012 13:25:04 IST
Western Digital has recently announced the new WD VelociRaptor 1TB hard drive, which is its newest addition to its line-up of large capacity 10,000 RPM hard drives. Apart from the 1TB drive, the WD VelociRaptor will also come in capacities of 500GB and 250GB.
Western Digital states that the new WD VelociRaptor 1TB hard drive is aimed at creative professionals who want the ultimate SATA drive. Creative professionals use write-intensive applications that manage large, dynamic files. For example, video editing and digital content creation and management can ultimately put a strain on storage devices that utilise write-challenged NAND memory. The company claims that the VelociRaptor’s read and write performance across the entire disk capacity makes it a perfect match for the creative professional and enthusiast who want to optimise their tools and increase storage space at the same time.
Designed for high performance PCs
Commenting on the launch of VelociRaptor 1TB in India, Khwaja Saifuddin, director sales - Middle East, Africa and South Asia, says, “The high performance 1TB WD VelociRaptor is aimed at enabling power users such as gaming enthusiasts and media professionals to push their creative boundaries. The drive delivers the ultimate combination of speed and storage, and Indian professionals with heavy computing requirements will be delighted with its power-packed performance".
The WD VelociRaptor 2.5-inch hard drive comes in the IcePack enclosure, a 3.5-inch mounting frame with built-in heat sink -- a factory customisation that fits the drive into a standard 3.5-inch system bay and keeps the drive cool.
Features of the WD VelociRaptor hard drives, as mentioned by Corsair, are:
- Speed - SATA 6 Gb/s interface and 64MB cache optimise the 10,000 RPM WD VelociRaptor.
- Capacity - WD VelociRaptor SATA hard drives employ Advanced Format Technology to achieve capacities up to 1TB.
- Reliability - Designed and manufactured to workstation standards to deliver stellar reliability in high workload environments.
- Operation - Consumes less idle power and uses similar active power as the previous generation WD VelociRaptor.
- Rotary Acceleration Feed Forward (RAFF) - Optimises operation and performance when the drives are used in vibration-prone, multi-drive chassis.
- NoTouch ramp load technology - The recording head never touches the disk media thus giving significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection when in transit.
- Environmentally conscious - In addition to being RoHS-compliant, this generation of WD VelociRaptor is also a halogen-free design.
WD VelociRaptor hard drives are available now at select distributors, resellers and e-tailers, and come with a five-year limited warranty. The manufacturer's suggested retail Price (MSRP) for the WD VelociRaptor 1TB (model #: WD1000DHTZ) is Rs15,499 plus local taxes, the 500GB version (model #: WD5000HHTZ) is priced at Rs 9,299 plus local taxes and the 250GB version (model #: WD2500HHTZ) costs Rs 6,199 plus local taxes. More information about WD VelociRaptor hard drives including terms of the limited warranty may be found here.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.