tech2 News StaffDec 21, 2017 13:42:50 IST
Twitter has started supporting third-party authentication apps, needed when an extra layer of security (2-step authentication) is to be added to your password. Previously, Twitter only supported a one-time six-digit password sent to your registered phone number to login to the account.
Third-party apps such as Authy, 1Password and Google Authenticator are the apps that you can use to add an extra layer of security to your Twitter account.
The access to authenticate the Twitter account through third-party apps has been brought on board for exceptional cases. For instance, users are not able to authenticate their account through SMS if they are in a different country without international roaming. The third-party apps have offline authentication option and now they can be used to access the account instead of relying on the SMS.
The company has listed instructions for using third-party apps on its platform. The steps for enabling third-party apps on Android devices has been mentioned below.
- Click on your profile icon or navigation menu icon on your device
- Select Settings and Privacy
- Choose Account and then tap on Security
- Check the box next to Security app
- Read instructions and tap Start
- Enter password and tap verify
- Tap Set Up now to start the process
- Follow setup instructions
- Generate a code through the third party app after the 'Try It Now' message
- Tap Verify
- Use the third party app to view and use codes for login Verification
Above instructions are only for Android devices, for Apple and Windows devices check the Twitter help blog.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.