Shunal DokeMay 15, 2013 22:42:32 IST
Google has unveiled a new variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4. The special thing about this variant of the Galaxy S4 is that it doesn't run on Samsung's TouchWiz UX. Instead, it runs on AOSP – the same version of Android that Google’s own Nexus devices run on. This means that the handset will get updates at the same time as Nexus devices do. The handset will be available for a hefty $649 (Rs 35,552) price tag and will be sold directly through Google Play.
It is aimed towards those who want an ultra high-end device but without Samsung’s TouchWiz UX. Right now, the only way to get rid of the UX is to root the handset and use something like the latest version of Cyanogenmod, which is custom ROM based on AOSP. The development community for the new variant of the S4 will no doubt thrive thanks to the bootloader being unlocked from the get-go.
Google has unveiled its own variant of the Galaxy S4
The Galaxy S4 was announced back in March and the leading smartphone maker in the world has once again married top-of-the-line hardware and unique software experience overlaid on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, the latest version of the OS.
Here are the key specs of the Samsung Galaxy S4:
- 5-inch full HD Super AMOLED (1920 x 1080) display, 441 ppi
- HSPA+, LTE, GPRS/EDGE
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot
- Bluetooth 4.0 with EDR and A2DP
- GPS with A-GPS support and GLONASS
- MicroUSB 2.0 with MHL, USB On-the-go, USB Host
- 13 megapixel primary camera with LED flash, simultaneous HD video and still image stabilisation, 1080p video recording.
- 2 megapixel front-facing camera, 1080p video recording @ 30fps
- 16/32/64GB internal storage with microSD card for further expansion up to 64GB
The Galaxy S4 comes with a 2600 mAh battery, which should ideally take you through the day with moderate use. Of course, real-world battery performance would vary from user to user.
Find our entire collection of stories, in-depth analysis, live updates, videos & more on Chandrayaan 2 Moon Mission on our dedicated #Chandrayaan2TheMoon domain.