Samsung smartphone explodes in man's pocket; company claims owner used a third-party battery

The security camera video revealed the man in shock as the Samsung smartphone suddenly sparked and burst into bright blue flames in his shirt pocket.

A man in Indonesia suffered minor burns as a smartphone violently exploded in his shirt pocket, seen in a security camera grab uploaded to YouTube. As reports emerged, the device turned out to be a Samsung smartphone, one that was released in 2013. Samsung's investigation soon revealed that owner was not using an approved battery, which lead to the explosion in what appears to be a restaurant.

The Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos

The Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos

The security camera video revealed the man in shock as the phone suddenly sparked and burst into bright blue flames in his shirt pocket. The man could be seen falling to the ground in an attempt to remove his shirt after failing to pull out the burning smartphone from his pocket. Bystanders, eventually helped him pull out his shirt, but the local police state that the man suffered minor burns.

Electronics giant Samsung provided an explanation to CNET, stating that battery used inside the Samsung device (identified as the Samsung Grand Duos) was a third-party unit. More so the battery manufacturer was not even approved by Samsung to begin with.

Samsung encouraged its customers to use Samsung's genuine products or at least approved batteries that have been specifically designed for their smartphones or at least approved by Samsung, if coming from a third-party manufacturer.

Indeed, the Samsung brand name is synonymous with the word "explosions" after the company's flagship, the Galaxy Note 7 started catching fire last year. Upon thorough investigation, the problem was attributed to faulty battery design.




also see

science