Qualcomm mocks Mediatek's octa-core chip in new video

Qualcomm seems determined to mock Mediatek's efforts to bring out an octa-core CPU. The chipmaker has released a video that mocks Mediatek’s philosophy...


Qualcomm seems determined to mock Mediatek's efforts to bring out an octa-core CPU. The chipmaker has released a video that mocks Mediatek’s philosophy of “more cores = better”. The video portrays Qualcomm's message with a tongue-in-cheek parody of rhythm game Guitar Hero, where each core on the Snapdragon chip is able to handle apps just fine, whereas the Mediatek chip is slow and most of its cores aren’t being used. Check it out:

 

 

Qualcomm also states that instead of the number of cores, the speed should be more important. The company cites some of the most-downloaded apps in China, of which 85 percent use only two cores, while the other 15 percent barely touch the third and fourth cores. Although the video never mentions Mediatek by name, it's pretty obvious what the company means when it says "Our competitor".

Mediatek's new chipset was seen scoring around 30,000 points on AnTuTu. While this is a bit lower than the Snapdragon 800, which scores around 35,000 points on the same test, it is better than the Snapdragon 600, which falls behind with a 25,000 point score. The company has stated that the chipset registers clock speeds ranging from 1.7GHz to 2GHz. The chipset will also be able to decode high-resolution 1080p videos at 30fps.

 Qualcomm mocks Mediatek's octa-core chip in new video

Oh Qualcomm, I see what you did there!

 

Samsung already has an Exynos 5 octa-core processor out in the market. But it's not a true eight-core configuration, as it employs ARM’s big.LITTLE architecture, which is basically a combination of two quad-core processors. It combines a powerful Cortex A15 chip with a power-efficient Cortex A7 CPU, which means that at any point in time, only one set of four cores will be active.

Welcome to Tech2 Innovate, India’s most definitive youth festival celebrating innovation is being held at GMR Grounds, Aerocity Phase 2, on 14th and 15th February 2020. Come and experience an amalgamation of tech, gadgets, automobiles, music, technology, and pop culture along with the who’s who of the online world. Book your tickets now.