Shunal DokeOct 01, 2012 15:33:27 IST
Google has been almost giving away the top paid apps with the 25 cents (roughly Rs. 13) sale on its Google Play store in celebration of having had 25 billion apps and games downloaded. The last day of the sale is upon us as Google updates the list of available games and apps for Android devices.
The new games and apps available on the Google Play sale are: Horn, The Dark Knight Rises, Haunted House HD, Smart Tools, Nova Launcher Prime, Great Big War Game, Scramble With Friends, Kids Numbers and Math, Guns ‘n’ Glory WW2 Premium, Gravity Guy, Air Control, Air Control HD, Sketchbook Pro and SPY mouse. You can view and buy the games and apps here.
The last day of the Google Play sale is upon us!
Here is a quick look at some of the games and apps available at the discounted price:
- Horn is an action adventure game with a third person perspective with a control scheme focused on touch-based gestures.
- The Dark Knight Rises is a movie tie-in game to the popular movie that ended the Christopher Nolan trilogy based on the Batman.
- Haunted House HD is a live wallpaper that allows you to enter and explore a spooky haunted house in true 3D.
- Nova Launcher Prime is a customisable replacement for the homescreen of your Android device. The launcher has features such as the ability to have folders in the app drawer, among others.
- Scramble With Friends is Zynga's take on the popular word game Boggle, integrated with Facebook.
- Gravity Guy is a sidescrolling action game with platforming elements. The game also features multiplayer with up to four other players.
- SketchBook Pro is a software by Autodesk that allows you to make drawings on your phone with the ability to make deep changes, including brush size, thickness and softness.
- SPY mouse puts you in the tiny shoes of Agent Squeak. You must help Agent Squeak navigate through precarious levels to help serve the needs of mice everywhere.
The games and apps available on Day 3 at the discounted price were: Amazing Alex, TuneIn Radio, Temple Run: Brave, HD Widgets, PicSay Pro – Photo Editor, Monsters Ate My Condo, Flick Golf!, ezPDF Reader PDF Annotate Form, Kids ABC Letters, Rebuild, Zombie Smash, mSecure – Password Manager, Mass Effect Infiltration and Dragon, Fly! Full.
It was recently revealed that India’s inclusion in the official list of countries where developers could register as certified Google Checkout Merchants was short lived. According to Pluggd.in’s Ashish Sinha, “So for India based Android app developers, things are back to what it was earlier – i.e. you cannot sell paid apps in the Play store (some workaround here). We have asked Google to update us on the final status (or was it some drunken employee updating the support page?). For sure, Google needs to revisit this strategy. If not, Microsoft is going to snatch away these Android app developers with a better integrated strategy (it’s already happening).”
Earlier, Indian developers needed to go to a country where Google Checkout merchants are allowed, such as the US, and register a local bank account in the name of a US resident in order to sell apps on the Google Play Store. With reports about India featuring on that list, it did seem as if troubles were over. Now, however, things stand the way they were.
Smartphone apps are serious business, though developers of Android apps were left in limbo. In India, developers were only allowed to publish free apps, and this had limited the potential for innovative apps because of lack of incentive.
Reports quoted P R Rajendran, Director of Next Wave Multimedia, a Chennai based company, as saying, “We have lived with this condition for some time now where we literally run two companies, and are subject to dual taxation". He added further that, "This is a welcome move on the part of Google." Rajendran's company has published more than ten apps on both Apple iTunes and Google Play.
Tech2 is now on WhatsApp. For all the buzz on the latest tech and science, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Tech2.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.