tech2 News Staff Aug 15, 2018 20:29:24 IST
After 4G mobile services, Reliance Jio on 15 August started registration for optical fiber based fixed-line broadband service through which it has claimed to offer download speed of one gigabit per second.
"JioGigaFiber. Make your neighborhood #Gigaready with Gigabit wifi, TV, smart home, free calling and more," read the registration option in MyJio App.
At present, major rivals of Jio offer download speed up to 100 megabits per second for around Rs 1,000 per month for home users.
Jio claims to offer around 10 times more speed to home users. Though the company has not disclosed its price yet, however, there have been reports that it will trigger a stiff competition among telecom firms. Here are the following steps to register for Jio GigaFiber:
- Go to the official website of Ji0 GigaFiber.
- Then you'll have to enter your address. You'll see your current location written, you can change it by moving the pin on the map or by pressing on the 'Change' button.
- After you've jotted down your address, hit the 'Submit' button.
- The screen might still show the default address, but do not get worked up. Just move on to the next step which is to select whether the address you've entered is your home or work address.
- Then fill in your details: name, contact number, and press on the 'Generate' OTP button
- Enter the OTP that you receive then select the type of your locality whether it's a society, township, developer so and so forth.
- And now for the final step, tap on 'Submit'.
Jio's entry in mobile services led to a free voice call for the first time, and data prices dipped by over 95 percent since the time it commenced services.
The service will be launched simultaneously across 1,100 cities for homes, merchants, small and medium enterprises and large enterprises, according to an announcement earlier made by Reliance Jio's parent firm Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh D Ambani.
"For the home, this will mean ultra high definition entertainment on your large screen televisions, multi-party video conferencing from the comfort of your living room, voice-activated virtual assistants who obey your every command, virtual reality gaming and digital shopping," Ambani had said.
He said that Jio broadband service will enable smart-home solutions where hundreds of devices like security cameras, home appliances even lights and switches can be securely controlled by their owners using a smartphone from both inside and outside the home.
India jumped to number one in terms of mobile broadband service from its global rank of 150 after the launch of Jio 4G services.
Ambani in his last annual general meeting speech said that India is ranked quite low at 134th in the global ranking for fixed broadband due to poor fixed-line infrastructure.
"In countries with better-developed communication infrastructure, more than 80 percent of data consumption happens indoors through fixed line connectivity in homes, in offices and other premises...Jio is determined to move India to among the top 5 in fixed-line broadband, too," Ambani said.
Inputs from Press Trust of India.
Disclaimer: Reliance Industries Ltd. is the sole beneficiary of Independent Media Trust which controls Network18 Media & Investments Ltd.
Tech2 is now on WhatsApp. For all the buzz on the latest tech and science, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Tech2.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.