tech2 News StaffFeb 06, 2017 12:25:52 IST
India has been deploying satellites at a steady pace, with 39 operational satellites currently in orbit, not counting academic satellites launched by students. To meet an increase in demand, Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) plans to enter into partnerships with Indian industries to manufacture the systems and sub systems. In an upcoming PSLV-C37 mission, Isro will attempt to launch a world record of 104 satellites on a single spaceflight. Most of the satellites on board are going to be small CubeSats, but the main payload is an Indigenous Earth imaging satellite in the CartoSat-2 series, weighing 730 kg. In a meeting with school students, Isro Chief explained how these satellites are useful to the country.
The Chairman of Isro AS Kiran Kumar said "we are making use of technology to address the problems faced on earth." Inaugurating a two-day ‘mega science fair’ at a school in Puducherry, Kiran Kumar said, "We are making use of technology to address the problems faced in augmenting educational capability, enhancing tele-medicine facility for the people in remote areas and islands."
He noted that the government is making use of large quantum of information generated by satellites and providing capability for improved governance. Kumar also pointed out that applied data was being used to find water resources and drill bore wells, while satellite data was helpful for several other activities.
Calling on the younger generation to keep nurturing their curiosity, he said, "the youth should not refrain from questioning and they should take their curiosity to the next level even if no answer was available to their questions." You should learn from others` mistakes and build up your capability, he advised the young boys who had gathered at the venue.
Stating that communication through satellites had been benefiting farmers, fishermen and others, he said, presently there were 38 satellites developed and launched by "our own launch vehicle and they are furnishing information relating to various areas including making available advance information about cyclones and sometimes super cyclone. Satellite has no boundaries, either national or international and collects information on surface of earth, vegetation, clouds and even pollution," he said highlighting the quantum of work that had gone into the Mars Mission and Chandrayaan-I. Kumar interacted with the students and visited various stalls.
With inputs from PTI
This story is a part of a series on the world record launch of 104 satellites on a single mission by Isro. The stories in the series are:
- Isro aims for a World record, to launch 83 satellites on a single rocket
- ISRO to launch world record 100 satellites in the PSLV-C37 mission scheduled for February
- Launching 103 satellites is not about setting a record, but to maximise capability, says ISRO chief
- Isro adds another passenger to the PSLV-C37 mission, 104 satellite launch rescheduled to mid February
- Isro plans to involve Indian industries to increase satellite launch capacity
- Isro’s mid-February PSLV-C37 launch of 104 satellites to have 88 satellites from Planet Labs
- Isro chief AS Kiran Kumar outlines the various uses of Indian satellites to students
- Isro’s PSLV-C37 launch scheduled for 15 February at 9:00 AM, here are the confirmed details
- Isro is going to break these previous satellite launch records with the PSLV-C37 mission
- Isro to recover half the cost of record breaking PSLV-C37 launch from foreign customers
- Isro PSLV-C37 record breaking mission run up: A history of rockets and launch vehicles in India
- Isro PSLV-C37 mission: The US private sector is threatened by cheap Indian spaceflight
- Isro has plans to go to Venus and visit Mars again in the future, along with 104 satellites launch on 15 Feb
- Isro’s record breaking PSLV-C37 mission: These are the 104 satellites on board
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.