Shayne RanaJan 16, 2009 11:51:51 IST
Western Digital (WD) has introduced a simple way for consumers to play their stored digital content on their HDTV in Full-HD 1080p resolution. The WD TV Media Player connects to a user’s TV or home theater and plays digital movies, music and photos from WD’s My Passport portable drive or other USB mass storage devices.
Users can leave the WD TV HD Media Player connected to their TVs and simply plug in up to two My Passport USB drives or other USB mass storage devices loaded with HD media. Using the included remote control, they can navigate and play their content with the media player’s high-definition on-screen menu. With My Passport drives now available in 500 GB capacities, users can build large collections on multiple drives, all playable by WD TV. Content can be viewed either by filename or thumbnails of photos, album covers or movie cover art. In addition, automatic media aggregation lets the viewer see all their media by media type in one menu regardless of its location in folders or drives.
"As leaders in external storage, we have become the trusted brand for storing and backing up large media collections for consumers around the world," said Sharad Srivastava, Director Sales (India and South Asia), Western Digital. "Our best-selling My Passport portable drives help customers carry their media library with them anywhere but until now, there has been no easy, affordable way to access and play all that content in their living rooms. The WD TV HD Media Player effectively unlocks all that content from the storage device and lets people enjoy it on their biggest screen and best sound system."
Features of the WD TV HD Media Player include:
- Designed for WD’s My Passport portable drives, plays content from WD My Book family of drives and USB drives, digicams, camcorders, and portable media players that can be recognized as mass storage devices;
- HD video playback and navigation - up to 1080p
- Remote control for on-screen navigation
- Dock and play convenience
- Advanced navigation options such as thumbnail and list views; view all media by media type in one menu regardless of location; ability to search by genre, title, artist, filename and partial filename;
- Photo viewing features to create custom slides shows; ability to zoom and pan; search photos by filename, partial filename, most recently viewed and date;
- Movie viewing with ability to fast forward, rewind, pause, zoom, and pan, view subtitles and search by filename, partial filename, most recently viewed and date;
- Music playback with fast forward, rewind, pause, shuffle, repeat and search by filename, partial filename, most recently viewed and date;
- Two USB ports on the player connects up to two USB mass storage devices and access them simultaneously while the Media Library feature aggregates the content on both drives into one list sorted by media type;
- High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) port connects to the highest quality HDTV or home theater; additional composite (RCA) outputs ensure compatibility with virtually all television sets;
- Free ArcSoft MediaConverter 2.5 software to easily convert photo, video, and music files into formats optimized for use on the WD TV HD Media Player;
- Ultra-compact design that fits easily into a home entertainment center; and,
- 1-year limited warranty.
The WD TV HD Media Player is available now at select retailers and WD’s online store www.shopwd.com. The MSRP for WD TV HD Media Player is Rs. 6500.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.