Over 700 migrants are feared dead in three Mediterranean Sea shipwrecks, south of Italy, in the last few days as they tried desperately to reach Europe
Egypt has mobilised a robot submarine in the hunt for the black box of the EgyptAir plane that had crashed over the Mediterranean, with 66 people aboard
Hazardous journey of hope: More than one million migrants travelled by sea to Europe in 2015 alone, says UN
More than one million refugees and migrants braved the seas in 2015 seeking sanctuary in Europe, nearly five times more than in the previous year, the United Nations' refugee agency said on Wednesday.
A heavy sandstorm swept across parts of the Middle East on Tuesday, killing two people and hospitalising hundreds in Lebanon and disrupting fighting and air strikes in neighbouring Syria.
Not to be left behind, the armed forces have planned yoga sessions on board warships and even at Siachen, the world's highest battlefield, to celebrate the first International Yoga Day on June 21.
The European Union urged its 28 nations Wednesday to swiftly endorse its plan to relocate 40,000 refugees a plan that grew even more urgent as Greece saw a record number of migrants arrive by sea.
Two recent shipwrecks in the Mediterranean Sea believed to have taken the lives of as many as 1,300 asylum seekers and migrants has highlighted the escalating flow of people fleeing persecution, war and economic difficulties in their homelands.
Some 300 migrants who tried to cross the frigid Mediterranean in open, rubber boats, were reported missing by UN and other aid groups sharply criticised the new EU rescue operation as insufficient.
This year is on track to become the deadliest ever for migrants crossing the Mediterranean Sea after two heavily loaded boats were wrecked in the past week, possibly killing 700 people fleeing Africa for Europe — the same number as died during all of last year.