Philippines announces end of five-month long battle of Marawi against Islamic State, 1,780 hostages rescued
A five-month battle against Islamic State supporters in southern Philippines that claimed more than 1,000 lives has ended, defence secretary said
Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte last month vowed to "crush" the militants, but several deadlines have already been missed to end a conflict that has left scores dead and forced some 4,00,000 people from their homes
Father Teresito "Chito" Suganob, a Catholic priest assigned to Marawi, was taken hostage along with some parishioners early in the siege.
Dozens of people ran to freedom in Philippines through a terrifying gauntlet of military air strikes and Islamist gunmen, two weeks after being trapped in a deadly battle for Marawi.
Islamist militants locked in street-to-street battles with security forces in a southern Philippine city have killed 19 civilians, the military said Sunday, bringing the official death toll from nearly a week of fighting to at least 85.
The fighting erupted on Tuesday when dozens of gunmen went on a rampage throughout Marawi in response to an attempt by security forces to arrest IS leader.
Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte ordered his troops to crush militants fighting street battles with government forces in the south, fearing rise of Islamic State militants.
Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte said that the martial law imposed in Mindanao could last for a year. The martial law was imposed on Tuesday night.