Formula 1: FIA concludes Michael Masi made human error, but acted in 'good faith' in controversial finale
Red Bull driver Max Verstappen won his first world title after overtaking Mercedes star Lewis Hamilton on the last lap of Abu Dhabi GP following a controversial restart procedure.
In order to ensure that there won't be a repeat, and after a discussion with the teams, the FIA has amended the relevant rule, which now specifies that all lapped cars must be waved past the leader if it is considered safe to do so.
F1 were reacting to Russian President Vladimir Putin defying Western warnings to unleash a full-scale invasion on Thursday that quickly claimed dozens of lives and displaced at least 100,000 people.
Hamilton was poised to capture a record-breaking eighth world title at the Abu Dhabi finale in December before a controversial safety car restart allowed Verstappen to pass the British driver on the last lap.
Verstappen claimed his first world title when he passed Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes on the final lap. He was given the opportunity after a key decision by race director Michael Masi.
The two that have been trialled so far this season at Silverstone and Monza have been generally well-received, with a third scheduled for Brazil later this month.
Qatar has also signed a 10-year deal to host Formula One from 2023.
Formula 1 2021: Red Bull gets FIA to review incident involving Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton at British GP
The team has been fuming since contact between Verstappen and Hamilton on the first lap of the British Grand Prix caused Verstappen to crash hard into a barrier.
Sochi has hosted Formula 1 every year since it joined the calendar in 2014 on the site where it hosted the Winter Olympics the same year.
Chandhok is one of the only two Indian drivers to have made it to Formula 1 with the other being Narain Karthikeyan.
Max Mosley, racing boss who took on British tabloids and oversaw global spread of Formula 1, dies at 81
Max Mosley, who shook off the stigma of his family’s links to fascism to become international motorsport’s top administrator and later made a stand as a privacy campaigner in response to tabloid stories about his sex life, has died. He was 81.
"Due to the health measures put in place to fight COVID-19, the Canadian Grand Prix has been cancelled for a second consecutive year," Canadian authorities said in a statement.
Valencia is appearing on the calendar for the first time at the existing Ricardo Tormo circuit.
Now in its seventh season, this year's winner will be recognised as an official FIA world champion for the first time, a sign of the championships' growing stature.
The campaign had initially been due to start in Chile on 16-17 January but those races have had to be postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Hamilton missed last Sunday's Sakhir GP, but the FIA and Mercedes both confirmed that he had passed a number of negative COVID-19 tests after completing a 10-day quarantine period in Bahrain
The French Formula One driver somehow wrenched himself free from his blazing Haas car with just burns to his hands and a broken left foot after a collision with Daniil Kvyat on the first lap of Sunday's Grand Prix. He left the hospital on Wednesday.
The Mercedes team said it would announce a replacement driver later in the week
Formula 1 2020: Romain Grosjean praises halo safety device after surviving horror crash during Bahrain GP
Grosjean, 34, trapped in his cockpit, flew under the barrier as it gave way and as his car burst into flames, splitting in two on impact, but managed to escape with only "light burns" to his hands and ankles.
Formula 1 2020: Red Bull sporting director Jonathan Wheatley to miss Bahrain GP after testing positive for COVID-19
The vastly-experienced key pit-wall decision-maker returned a positive test during mandatory pre-race tests and will be isolation for 10-days in line with the sport’s protocols and public health guidelines.