Australian Open 2021: Tournament boss Craig Tiley plays down fears of Novak Djokovic pulling out due to injury
The ailing Serb somehow came though an gruelling five-setter on Friday night against Taylor Fritz, overcoming an abdominal "muscle tear" that cast doubt over whether he will be able to continue.
Preparations for the year's opening tennis Grand Slam were thrown into disarray when a worker at one of the designated tournament hotels became infected with the virus.
Eight positive Covid-19 cases threw preparations into disarray with 72 players confined to their Melbourne hotel rooms 24 hours a day, sparking complaints about the tough conditions.
Tennis Australia said in a statement the tournament build-up had been revamped after "extensive consultation" to help give the 72 affected players "the best possible preparation and training opportunities".
In Wednesday's tweet, Djokovic said his letter to Australian Open director Craig Tiley had been taken the wrong way.
In good news for players in lockdown, there were suggestions that some may be allowed to leave their rooms for practice before the 14-day hard quarantine period.
Australian Open 2021: Forty-seven players barred from practising after 'close contact' with COVID-19 positive individuals
Two-time Australian Open champion Victoria Azarenka was reported by local media to be among a group of players set to be under the strictest quarantine for two weeks.
In addition to his work with Becker, Ivanisevic, Cilic and other individual players, Brett coached for national tennis associations in Britain, Japan and Canada.
All the world's top players have signed on, led by world number ones Novak Djokovic and Ashleigh Barty.
Tiley said he had been in touch with the 39-year-old and he was going through his normal pre-season training routine in Dubai.
The proposals would allow players to train during a mandatory 14-day quarantine period.
Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley said details of the event, whose 18 January start date has been the subject of intense speculation, should be settled "very soon".
Australian Open tournament director and Tennis Australia chief executive Craig Tiley last weekend said the final dates should be confirmed within two weeks.
Australian Open chief Craig Tiley says players, fans can expect 'decisions soon' on tournament dates
Tiley had originally wanted players to start arriving in Australia from mid-December so they could undergo a mandatory 14-day quarantine.
The new arrangements will involve players flying into Melbourne to undergo two weeks of mandatory quarantine, when they will be restricted to hotels but have access to tennis courts.
Tiley said he remains "absolutely" confident the Australian Open will go ahead as planned at Melbourne Park from 18-31 January, along with lead-up events including the men's ATP Cup and tournaments in Brisbane, Sydney and Hobart.
In letter to players, Tennis Australia chief Craig Tiley says competing during quarantine a 'possibility'
Australia usually stages a number of tennis tournaments in January, culminating in the Australian Open which is the first Grand Slam of the year.
Smaller crowds, bio-bubble for players: Australian Open organisers chalk out plan to host 2021 edition
Tennis Australia chief executive Craig Tiley will be looking at the running of both the US Open and delayed French Open to help plan contingencies for Australian Open 2021.
There is a lingering sense that the Australian Open, the first Grand Slam of the tennis calendar, could be a little better if only it started a few weeks later.
Australian Open 2020: Courts could slow down with new manufacturer, giving counterpunchers a better shot than before
Tennis Australia has decided to replace its erstwhile court manufacturer California Sports Surfaces with a new one – GreenSet Worldwide. The courts are still Plexicushion but reports from the qualifying matches suggest that it is playing slower than last year.