World T20: Mortaza to consider retirement from 20-over internationals after event
Mashrafe Mortaza has stated that he he did not enjoy T20Is as much as ODIs, and that he had been considering retirement from the shortest format.
Kolkata: Bangladesh's Group 2 match against New Zealand in the ICC World T20 in Kolkata on Saturday could well be Mashrafe Mortaza's swansong in the 20-over format. But the skipper will take a decision on his return from India.
Already eliminated from the tournament with three straight defeats, Bangladesh will take on New Zealand at the Eden Gardens, reports bdnews24.com.
Since last year, Mashrafe, who earlier insisted he did not enjoy Twenty20 Internationals as much as One-Day Internationals (ODI), had been thinking about signing out of the shortest format after the showpiece event.
According to the international fixtures, Bangladesh don't have any more T20Is scheduled this year. They will play their next games in New Zealand in January next year.
After the World T20, the tournament will be a quadrennial event rather than a biennial one. Mashrafe does not fancy himself playing in the next edition slated for 2020 in Australia.
"I will think about (retirement) when I get home," Mashrafe said.
The 32-year-old has always tried to stay away from the spotlight and as such, he is likely to be willing to step down from T20Is without making much noise.
"We have an important match. That has my full attention for now. There will be a lot of time back home to consider whether I will play T20 after this or not," he concluded.
England vs New Zealand: Pacer Neil Wagner says Kiwis not treating Test series as warm-ups for WTC final
India and New Zealand will lock horns for the inaugural World Test Championship title, at Southampton's Ageas Bowl, from 18-22 June, four days after the Test series against hosts England is scheduled to conclude.
The players arrived here on Sunday afternoon after flying from Auckland via Singapore and were transferred to the Ageas Bowl in Southampton where they will be based for the first two weeks of the tour.
England team director Ashley Giles says no plans on rushing IPL stars back into action in New Zealand Tests
The suspension of the IPL because of the devastating coronavirus outbreak in India has left England with a potentially larger player pool than they envisaged for the two-Test series against New Zealand.