World chess champion Magnus Carlsen unveils online series of tournaments with $1 million prize purse
The Norwegian was absent when the World Chess Federation (FIDE) held an online Nations Cup between Russia, United States, Europe, China, India and a Rest of the World team
London: World champion Magnus Carlsen unveiled a series of online chess tournaments with $1 million prize money on Thursday having opted out of a competition held by the game’s governing body this month.
The Norwegian was absent when the World Chess Federation (FIDE) held an online Nations Cup between Russia, United States, Europe, China, India and a Rest of the World team.
Yet the 29-year-old has launched his own tour on the back of the Magnus Carlsen Invitational held earlier this month.
“The Invitational was a lot of fun and we heard great feedback from the players, our broadcast partners and the viewers,” Carlsen said in a statement.
The Invitational will serve as the first leg of his new tour.
There will be three more “majors” before a grand final in August featuring winners of the individual tournaments, the organisers said.
“While physical chess tournaments and sports are still either cancelled or postponed, bringing an entire chess tour online is what I feel is right for chess now,” Carlsen added.
Chess tournaments have been disrupted amid the coronavirus outbreak.
The Candidates Tournament, one of FIDE’s flagship events, had to be halted midway through in March, while the Chess Olympiad had to be postponed to 2021.
Carlsen, Hikaru Nakamura, Ding Liren, and Iranian prodigy Alireza Firouzja — who were the top four in the first leg — will join eight new players in the tour’s next event, Lindores Abbey Rapid Challenge, which starts on Tuesday.
The COVID-19 carnage across India has shaken the country to its core with over three lakh fresh daily cases. On Wednesday the daily death toll surpassed the 3,000 mark for the first time.
France's Deep Time Project ends after 40 days; isolation group return to real life after being cut off from family, friends and pandemic
After 40 days in voluntary isolation, 15 people participating in a scientific experiment have emerged from a vast cave in southwestern France. Eight men and seven women lived in the dark, damp depths of the Lombrives cave in the Pyrenees to help researchers understand how people adapt to drastic changes in living conditions and environments. They had no clocks, no sunlight and no contact with the world above.
'Curtail election victory celebrations to contain COVID-19 spread': Deve Gowda writes to Narendra Modi
The JD(S) supremo in the letter to the prime minister also suggested banning all public gatherings for six months, postponing all byelections, and capping vaccine prices