Winter Olympics 2018: Over 1,200 security guards withdrawn due to virus outbreak; replaced by 900 military soldiers

Pyeongchang: More than 1,200 security guards have been withdrawn from the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics because of a norovirus outbreak, organisers said on Tuesday.

Out of the group, 41 suffered a sudden onset of vomiting and diarrhoea on Sunday.

Representative image. Reuters

Representative image. Reuters

They were transferred to hospital and most were diagnosed with a norovirus infection.

Norovirus is highly contagious and can also be spread through food or water contamination.

"The 1,200-odd people were pulled out from their duties," an official of the Pyeongchang Olympic Organizing Committee told AFP. "They were replaced by some 900 military soldiers."

Health authorities were investigating the origin of the virus, he said.

The security guards, all employees from a security company, had been accommodated at a youth training centre in Pyeongchang, separate from the athletes' village.


Updated Date: Feb 06, 2018 10:28 AM

Also Watch

It's A Wrap: Omerta star Rajkummar Rao in conversation with Parul Sharma
  • Thursday, April 26, 2018 In the Kanjarbhat community, a campaign against 'virginity tests' is slowly gaining ground
  • Thursday, April 19, 2018 Watch: National-level skater and coach Dhwanit Rele trains and nurtures budding athletes
  • Monday, May 14, 2018 FOMO Episode 1: Google Assistant, This is America, Sonam's wedding & Global Warming
  • Saturday, May 19, 2018 Social Media Star: Rajkummar Rao and Bhuvan Bam open up about selfie culture, online trolls