Winston-Salem Open: Roberto Bautista Agut lifts 6th ATP title with straight-sets win over Damir Dzumhur
Roberto Bautista Agut defeated first-time ATP finalist Damir Dzumhur of Bosnia-Herzegovina in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4.
Miami: Spain's Roberto Bautista Agut warmed up for the US Open by claiming his second ATP title of the season on Saturday at the Winston-Salem Open.
The top seed — and runner-up to compatriot Pablo Carreno Busta in the tournament last year — defeated first-time ATP finalist Damir Dzumhur of Bosnia-Herzegovina in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4.
The triumph comes after his January victory at Chennai, and his two titles in 2017 match his career best for a season. He also won two tournaments in 2014.
Bautista Agut's ninth career crown was a confidence-builder, with the US Open set to start on Monday at Flushing Meadows.
"I had a great week," he said. "I hope to continue this momentum in New York."
The Spaniard seized early leads in each set before Dzumhur battled back.
Bautista Agut led 4-1 in the first and 3-1 in the second before the Bosnian rallied.
But 15th-ranked Bautista Agut, who didn't drop a set all tournament, was ultimately too much for Dzumhur, whose challenge ended with a forehand long on Bautista Agut's first match point.
Despite the defeat, Dzumhur — who was playing in a lower-level Challenger final in the Dominican Republic last week — was pleased with his week.
"Best week for me so far," he said. "It was an unexpected good week for me and definitely one that I will always remember."
Tokyo Olympics 2020: Angelique Kerber, Victoria Azarenka become latest tennis stars to pull out of Games
"The thought of participating in the Olympics has been a constant motivation for me over the past few moths," wrote Kerber, who is the highest-ranked German at 22.
The All India Tennis Association (AITA) earlier this month named a three-member Under-14 boys team comprising of Rethin Pranav RS, Kriish Ajay Tyagi and Tejas Ahuja for the prestigious tournament, scheduled to be held from 2 to 7 August.
Tokyo Olympics 2020: Australian tennis player Alex de Minaur to miss Games after testing positive for COVID-19
De Minaur, the top-ranked Australian men's player, returned a positive test for the virus in Spain -- where he lives -- earlier this week, according to local media.