Wimbledon officials prepping for scheduled start despite Roland Garros postponement due to Coronavirus

The All England Club said it will close the museum in its grounds, which is open all year, and other facilities following the British government’s recommendation to avoid unnecessary gatherings.

Reuters March 18, 2020 08:02:26 IST
Wimbledon officials prepping for scheduled start despite Roland Garros postponement due to Coronavirus

London: Wimbledon officials on Tuesday said they are continuing plans for the grasscourt major to start on 29 June as scheduled even though Roland Garros organisers postponed the clay court Grand Slam to September due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Wimbledon officials prepping for scheduled start despite Roland Garros postponement due to Coronavirus

Representational image. Reuters

The French tennis federation postponed the event held at Roland Garros until 20 September - 4 October from its May start, with the new dates colliding with numerous events on the scheduled global tennis calendar.

The All England Club said it will close the museum in its grounds, which is open all year, and other facilities following the British government’s recommendation to avoid unnecessary gatherings.

“While we continue to plan for The Championships at this time, it remains a continuously evolving situation and we will act responsibly, in the best interests of wider society,” All England Club chief executive Richard Lewis said in a statement.

The men’s ATP Tour had previously announced a six-week suspension due to the pandemic that has ground global sport to a halt while the WTA, which runs the women’s tournaments, had postponed events till 2 May.

The International Tennis Federation has also suspended all its events, including next month’s newly-launched Fed Cup finals in Budapest.

Updated Date:

also read

India logs 17,336 new COVID-19 cases in last 24 hours, up 30% from yesterday; positivity rate jumps to 4.32%
India

India logs 17,336 new COVID-19 cases in last 24 hours, up 30% from yesterday; positivity rate jumps to 4.32%

Delhi and Maharashtra reported the maximum number of COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours. As many as 13 people died of COVID-19, increasing the cumulative casualty due to the virus in the country to 5,24,954

Wimbledon 2022: Rafael Nadal 'feels great' despite practice partner Matteo Berrettini's COVID-19 exit
Tennis

Wimbledon 2022: Rafael Nadal 'feels great' despite practice partner Matteo Berrettini's COVID-19 exit

Rafael Nadal practised with Matteo Berrettini at Wimbledon last week but the Spanish star shrugged off any concerns over his health.

Maharashtra records 3,249 new coronavirus cases, 4 deaths; active tally below 24,000
Health

Maharashtra records 3,249 new coronavirus cases, 4 deaths; active tally below 24,000

Mumbai registered 978 cases of COVID-19 and two fatalities in the last 24 hours