Wimbledon 2019: Bernard Tomic's appeal against fine rejected by organisers with stinging rebuke

The 26-year-old Tomic appealed the decision, citing the fact he was unwell before the match, while Tsonga added that he felt his victory had been devalued.

Reuters July 20, 2019 13:07:20 IST
Wimbledon 2019: Bernard Tomic's appeal against fine rejected by organisers with stinging rebuke
  • Bernard Tomic’s appeal to overturn a fine for not playing to “required professional standards” at Wimbledon is denied

  • The Australian was fined his entire winnings of $ 56,241 after organisers ruled he had put in minimal effort

  • Tomic, however, said he would appeal the decision further

Australian Bernard Tomic’s appeal to overturn a fine for not playing to “required professional standards” at Wimbledon earlier this month has been denied in a stinging rebuke by the Grand Slam board.

Tomic lost his first round match 6-2 6-1 6-4 to France’s Jo-Wilfried Tsonga at Wimbledon and was fined his entire winnings of 45,000 pounds ($56,241) after organisers ruled he had put in minimal effort in the 58-minute defeat.

Wimbledon 2019 Bernard Tomics appeal against fine rejected by organisers with stinging rebuke

Bernard Tomic in action. AFP

The 26-year-old Tomic appealed the decision, citing the fact he was unwell before the match, while Tsonga added that he felt his victory had been devalued.

The board, however, refused to overturn their original decision and heavily criticised Tomic’s attitude to tennis.

“A review of your historical record of misconduct at Grand Slams, never mind elsewhere, provides little justification for an adjustment,” board director Bill Babcock wrote in the decision letter that was published by the New York Times.

“In your case, Bernard, I am sure you would agree there is no historical evidence to give comfort to the theory that you can reform your behaviour.”

Babcock added that if Tomic goes without a sanction in his next eight Grand Slam events then he would be refunded 25 percent of the fine.

“Admittedly, I am sceptical that you can achieve this reform of Grand Slam on-court behaviour,” Babcock added. “Many others, no doubt, would be even more than just sceptical.

“Good luck and I hope to be pleasantly surprised in the future by your successful reform.”

Tomic, however, said he would appeal the decision further.

“I don’t care about this 25 percent; I care about the right thing for players in the future,” he told the newspaper.

This year’s tournament was not the first time Tomic has run afoul of tennis officialdom.

He was nicknamed ‘Tomic the Tank Engine’ after accusations he ‘tanked’ — or failed to try his best — in a loss to Andy Roddick at the 2012 US Open.

Tomic also said after his first round loss at Wimbledon in 2017 that he was ‘bored’ during the match.

He has also been periodically suspended from Australia’s Davis Cup team over the last five years for what Tennis Australia have called “ongoing disrespect”.

Updated Date:

also read

Davis Cup: Germany win decisive doubles encounter to knock Great Britain out, enter semi-finals
Sports

Davis Cup: Germany win decisive doubles encounter to knock Great Britain out, enter semi-finals

Britain’s Joe Salisbury and Neal Skupski looked destined to force a third set, but Kevin Krawietz and Tim Puetz won the final seven points to help Germany book a clash with Russia or Sweden in Madrid on Saturday

Davis Cup: Daniil Medvedev, Andrey Rublev wins help Russia beat Croatia for third title
Sports

Davis Cup: Daniil Medvedev, Andrey Rublev wins help Russia beat Croatia for third title

Russia have not won the Davis Cup since 2006 and failed to reach a single quarter-final between 2011 and 2018.

Austria's COVID-19 lockdown affects return of Davis Cup Finals
Sports

Austria's COVID-19 lockdown affects return of Davis Cup Finals

This isn't likely what organizers had in mind for the return of the Davis Cup Finals amid yet another format change after last year's edition was called off because of the coronavirus pandemic