Wimbledon 2017: Stan Wawrinka ousted by Daniil Medvedev; Elina Svitolina, Dominika Cibulkova survive
Swiss fifth seed and French Open runner-up Stan Wawrinka was knocked out of Wimbledon in the first round by Russia's Daniil Medvedev on Monday, losing 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.
London: Swiss fifth seed and French Open runner-up Stan Wawrinka was knocked out of Wimbledon in the first round by Russia's Daniil Medvedev on Monday, losing 6-4, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.
World number 49 Medvedev, making his Wimbledon debut, goes on to face Belgian qualifier Ruben Bemelmans for a place in the last 32.
It was Wawrinka's sixth first round loss at the All England Club, although his efforts were hampered by a left knee injury which required an ice pack at the changeovers.
It also meant that 33-year-old Wawrinka's hopes of becoming just the sixth man to complete the career Grand Slam were ended for another year.
Having lost in the first round at Queen's Club last month, Wawrinka's grass-court campaign amounted to two matches and two defeats.
For 21-year-old Medvedev, it was a first win at the Grand Slam level, coming on the back of an impressive grass court season.
He made the semi-finals in Eastbourne last week where it took Novak Djokovic to stop him, as well as the quarter-finals at 's-Hertogenbosch and Queen's.
"A year ago I was ranked 250. If someone told me in one year I would win on Centre Court I would tell you you are joking," said Medvedev, who kissed the grass of Centre Court to celebrate his victory.
Svitolina, Cibulkova survive
Meanwhile, in the women's draw, seeded players Elina Svitolina and Dominika Cibulkova got past their first-round opponents the hard way.
Fourth seed Svitolina defeated Australia's Ashleigh Barty in two close sets after battling for almost two hours. Barty led the first set 5-3 and had her chances in the second set before losing 5-7, 6-7 (10-8) against the world No 5.
Svitolina's next opponent is former French Open champion Francesca Schiavone, who had earlier defeated Mandy Minella 6-1, 6-1.
Cibulkova, the eight seed, defeated Andrea Petkovic of Germany 6-3, 3-6, 9-7 in two hours and 43 minutes. The Slvakian will play American Jennifer Brady in the second round.
With inputs from AFP
The women's tennis tour had already released the first 27 weeks of its 2021 schedule, which has been rolled out in phases because of the continuing coronavirus pandemic.
Nadal has 71-5 record in Monte Carlo where he has fallen short of the quarter-finals just once - on his debut in 2003 as a 16-year-old.
World number one Djokovic was broken five times by the Briton in their last-16 clash and suffered his first loss of the year, having won the Australian Open for the ninth time in February.