WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder announces a rematch with Luis Ortiz; date, location to be revealed shortly

The WBC champion Deontay Wilder is unbeaten in 41 fights, including 40 inside the difference, with the lone blemish on an otherwise perfect record a draw with Britain's Tyson Fury last December.

Agence France-Presse May 29, 2019 13:59:49 IST
WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder announces a rematch with Luis Ortiz; date, location to be revealed shortly
  • The announcement dealt a fresh blow to hopes of a unification bout of Deontay Wilder with rival Anthony Joshua

  • Wilder had recently said he was ready to face Joshua but called for patience from fans

  • The WBC champion Wilder is unbeaten in 41 fights, including 40 inside the difference

Los Angeles: World Boxing Council heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder announced a rematch with Cuba's Luis Ortiz on Tuesday, dealing a fresh blow to hopes of a unification bout with rival Anthony Joshua.

In an announcement on Twitter, Wilder said he had signed a deal to face Ortiz once more following a bruising first battle in 2018 March.

WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder announces a rematch with Luis Ortiz date location to be revealed shortly

File image of Deontay Wilder. Reuters

Wilder won his first encounter with the Cuban nicknamed "King Kong" with a 10th round stoppage, but not before the 40-year-old had badly shaken the undefeated champion.

"To all my fans, I want to announce that Luis Ortiz and I have signed for a rematch, with the date and site to be announced shortly," Wilder wrote on Twitter.

"All my controversial fights Must get dealt with ASAP," he added.

While no date or venue was announced, US media reports said the two men would face off in Las Vegas on September 28.

Wilder, 33, defended his title for the ninth time on 18 May after demolishing Dominic Breazeale with a first round knockout.

The WBC champion is unbeaten in 41 fights, including 40 inside the difference, with the lone blemish on an otherwise perfect record a draw with Britain's Tyson Fury last December.

Wilder's decision to fight Ortiz makes it unlikely he will meet rival Joshua in a much-anticipated unification fight this year.

Wilder has not fought more than two fights in a calendar year since 2015, and would realistically face a short two-month turnaround to squeeze in a bout with Joshua before the end of the year after his bout against Ortiz.

Speaking after his recent win against Breazeale, Wilder said he was ready to face Joshua but called for patience from fans.

"This fight will happen," Wilder said. "The big fight will happen, I promise you that. I just want you guys to have patience and give us a little time to make this thing happen so we all benefit from it, not only just you fans."

Updated Date:

also read

French Open 2021: Roger Federer announces withdrawal from tournament in bid to protect fitness
Sports

French Open 2021: Roger Federer announces withdrawal from tournament in bid to protect fitness

The 39-year-old Swiss star was playing in his first Grand Slam since reaching the semi-finals of the Australian Open in 2020, and made it into the last 16 with a gruelling four-set win over Dominik Koepfer on Saturday.

Asian Games gold medallist boxer Dingko Singh dies at 42 after long battle with cancer
Sports

Asian Games gold medallist boxer Dingko Singh dies at 42 after long battle with cancer

Dingko Singh endured a long battle with liver cancer and even fought COVID-19 last year.

Conjuring 3 surpasses A Quiet Place Part II earnings to top US box office over the weekend
Entertainment

Conjuring 3 surpasses A Quiet Place Part II earnings to top US box office over the weekend

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It earned an estimated $24 million, making it the biggest R-rated opening of the pandemic