US Open organisers to include wheelchair tournament at Grand Slam after backlash from Australian Paralympic tennis champion Dylan Alcott

The United States Tennis Association’s announcement comes five days after the national governing body said it was rethinking their decision and that it could have better communicated with wheelchair athletes.

Reuters June 25, 2020 10:15:10 IST
US Open organisers to include wheelchair tournament at Grand Slam after backlash from Australian Paralympic tennis champion Dylan Alcott

US Open organisers said on Wednesday they will include a wheelchair tournament at this year’s Grand Slam following a player backlash over their decision to scrap the event as part of measures to curb the spread of COVID-19.

The United States Tennis Association’s announcement comes five days after the national governing body said it was rethinking their decision and that it could have better communicated with wheelchair athletes.

“The decision was made following multiple virtual meetings with a group of wheelchair athletes and the International Tennis Federation over the last week,” the USTA said in a statement.

US Open organisers to include wheelchair tournament at Grand Slam after backlash from Australian Paralympic tennis champion Dylan Alcott

Australian Paralympics Tennis champion Dylan Alcott. Image:Instagram/DylanAlcott

“The 2020 US Open Wheelchair Competition will feature men’s and women’s singles and doubles and quad singles and doubles, with draw sizes similar to past US Opens.”

Australian Paralympic tennis champion Dylan Alcott, who led the player backlash and had described the exclusion as “disgusting discrimination”, thanked organisers for reversing the decision.

“I was in tears (when the event was excluded),” the twice US Open champion said on Australia’s Channel Nine.

“It was just because it was so hard sometimes, growing up with a disability, where able-bodied people decide which restaurant you go in to, which school you go in to, which tennis tournaments you can play.

“It’s a huge turning point to show how supportive a community can be and from the bottom of my heart, I can’t say thanks enough.”

The changes at this year’s US Open in New York include no spectators, reducing the number of teams in the men’s and women’s doubles events by half, and the elimination of the mixed doubles and juniors competitions.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Palermo Ladies Open: Simona Halep's participation in doubt after Italy's mandatory quarantine order
Sports

Palermo Ladies Open: Simona Halep's participation in doubt after Italy's mandatory quarantine order

Italian Health Minister Roberto Speranza said on Friday people who have been in Romania and Bulgaria in the past 14 days will be quarantined upon arrival in Italy, a move aimed at preventing the importation of COVID-19 cases.

Smaller crowds, bio-bubble for players: Australian Open organisers chalk out plan to host 2021 edition
Sports

Smaller crowds, bio-bubble for players: Australian Open organisers chalk out plan to host 2021 edition

Tennis Australia chief executive Craig Tiley will be looking at the running of both the US Open and delayed French Open to help plan contingencies for Australian Open 2021.

Palermo Ladies Open: Tour-level tennis resumes after five-month hiatus with no handshakes or showers
Sports

Palermo Ladies Open: Tour-level tennis resumes after five-month hiatus with no handshakes or showers

A limited number of fans were allowed into the 1,500-seat stadium court and had to follow social distancing measures.