US Open: Decision on postponement or cancellation of tournament to be taken in June, says USTA's CEO

USTA is being advised by a medical advisory group that includes at least five doctors.

The Associated Press April 17, 2020 08:49:01 IST
US Open: Decision on postponement or cancellation of tournament to be taken in June, says USTA's CEO

A decision on whether to postpone or cancel the US Open because of the coronavirus pandemic is expected by June, the US Tennis Association’s new CEO said Thursday, calling the prospect of holding the Grand Slam tournament without spectators “highly unlikely.”

“Obviously our ambition is to run the tournament. It’s the engine that drives our organization, our governing body. Having said that, that won’t be the driving factor,” Mike Dowse, who took over at the USTA on 1 January, said on a conference call with reporters. “The driving factor will be the health and well-being of the players, the fans and our staff.”

US Open Decision on postponement or cancellation of tournament to be taken in June says USTAs CEO

Representational image. Reuters

He said the USTA is being advised by a medical advisory group that includes at least five doctors.

“Time is on our side, at this point,” Dowse said, because the US Open is not scheduled to begin until late August.

The tournament in New York City would be the next major championship on the tennis calendar; the French Open’s start was postponed from May until September, and Wimbledon was canceled altogether.

The men’s and women’s tennis tours are on hold entirely until at least mid-July, and one tournament in August already has been scrapped.

As for holding the US Open with no fans, Dowse said the USTA is “not taking anything off the table, but right now, I’d say that’s a highly unlikely scenario.”

“Things are fluid,” he added. “If the medical experts come back and say, ‘Here is a foolproof way of running a very safe tournament; unfortunately, it has to be without fans,’ we may reconsider and look at it.”

Tennis tournaments, in general, are more dependent on ticket, merchandise and on-site food sales as a percentage of revenue than major professional sports leagues that are largely funded by TV contracts.

Dowse also discussed the USTA’s plan to oversee a commitment of more than $50 million to help tennis deal with the effects of the COVID-19 outbreak at the grassroots level.

He said a survey conducted in March found that 85% of tennis facilities around the United States were closed because of stay-at-home orders, and he estimated that to be more like 90% now.

Dowse said the USTA is shaving more than $15 million from its budget by reducing salaries of its management and eliminating programs in player development and marketing. That includes money saved by temporarily closing the USTA national campus outside Orlando, Florida, last month.

The total future support provided by the USTA and its industry partners — including economic assistance packages and a telephone hotline for those “emotionally impacted” by the pandemic — will be affected by the financial success of the 2020 US Open, if it even is held.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

US Open 2020: Former champion Stan Wawrinka confirms he's skipping tournament due to 'health situation in New York'
Sports

US Open 2020: Former champion Stan Wawrinka confirms he's skipping tournament due to 'health situation in New York'

Wawrinka, the US Open winner in 2016, was already missing from the entry list along with four-time champion Rafael Nadal.

US Open 2020: India's Sumit Nagal gets direct entry into singles main draw of Grand Slam
Sports

US Open 2020: India's Sumit Nagal gets direct entry into singles main draw of Grand Slam

It will be Nagal's second appearance at the US Open, starting 31 August, and he is the only Indian in the men's field with Prajnesh Gunneswaran, ranked 132, missing out.

US Open 2020: Nick Kyrgios to skip Flushing Meadows Grand Slam due to coronavirus concerns
Sports

US Open 2020: Nick Kyrgios to skip Flushing Meadows Grand Slam due to coronavirus concerns

Kyrgios said in an Instagram post on Sunday that he had no problem with the United States Tennis Association proceeding with its plans to hold the tournament from 31 August to 13 September.