US Open 2020: World No 1 Simona Halep 'highly unlikely' to feature in Grand Slam with 'incredibly difficult' protocols in place

The United States Tennis Association (USTA) received the green light to hold their marquee tournament in New York as scheduled from 31 August - 13 September without fans.

Reuters June 17, 2020 12:01:42 IST
US Open 2020: World No 1 Simona Halep 'highly unlikely' to feature in Grand Slam with 'incredibly difficult' protocols in place

World No 1 Simona Halep is “highly unlikely” to play in the US Open with organisers set to put strict health protocols in place for the Grand Slam due to the COVID-19 pandemic, a spokeswoman for the Romanian told Reuters.

The United States Tennis Association (USTA) received the green light to hold their marquee tournament in New York as scheduled from 31 August - 13 September without fans.

US Open 2020 World No 1 Simona Halep highly unlikely to feature in Grand Slam with incredibly difficult protocols in place

File image of Simona Halep. AP

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said the USTA would take “extraordinary precautions” to protect players, including robust testing, additional cleaning, extra locker room space and dedicated accommodation.

“Everyone is still waiting on an official announcement of details from the US Open and tours about the season,” the spokeswoman said in a statement to Reuters.

“But if the conditions are as set out on paper for US Open, as Simo (Halep) has been consistent in saying, it’s highly unlikely she will play.”

Her coach Darren Cahill had told Reuters last week the protocols were “incredibly difficult” and would probably not work for the two-times Grand Slam winner.

The USTA and men’s and women’s tours are expected to provide details later on Wednesday.

“Of course the conditions of the US Open can still change and it is my understanding that the players will have well into July to decide whether to enter or not,” the spokeswoman said, adding that it was a “fluid situation so nothing is set in stone”.

Men’s No. 1 Novak Djokovic and his women’s counterpart Ash Barty have also raised concerns about playing in the tournament under health protocols while Nick Kyrgios said the USTA was being “selfish” by opting to go ahead with it.

American world No.21 John Isner tweeted his support for the decision to go ahead with the tournament.

“Well done @usta for being so forward thinking in getting this done. Players and fans alike are thrilled with this development. Time to get back on the courts!”

Updated Date:

also read

Serena Williams will finish as GOAT even if she doesn't break Margaret Court's record, says coach Patrick Mouratoglou
Sports

Serena Williams will finish as GOAT even if she doesn't break Margaret Court's record, says coach Patrick Mouratoglou

The American superstar is frustratingly marooned on 23 Grand Slam titles, one short of the all-time record held by Margaret Court.

Naomi Osaka looks to return to tennis soon after having an 'itch' to play again
Sports

Naomi Osaka looks to return to tennis soon after having an 'itch' to play again

Osaka said earlier this month she planned to take an indefinite break from the sport after an early exit from the US Open.

After US Open 2021 win, Emma Raducanu moves up 127 places to 23rd in world rankings
Sports

After US Open 2021 win, Emma Raducanu moves up 127 places to 23rd in world rankings

The 18-year-old became the first player to emerge from qualifying to win a Grand Slam tournament when she beat another teenager, 19-year-old Canadian Leylah Fernandez, 6-4, 6-3 on Saturday.