UKAD to investigate boxer Tyson Fury's 2015 nandrolone case again after allegations of bribery surface
Britain’s anti-doping body is expected to look into allegations in a newspaper report in which a farmer said he was offered money to provide an alibi in support of Tyson Fury for a case involving the world heavyweight champion.
London: Britain’s anti-doping body is expected to look into allegations in a newspaper report in which a farmer said he was offered money to provide an alibi in support of Tyson Fury for a case involving the world heavyweight champion.
Fury and his cousin Hughie were handed retrospective two-year bans by UK Anti-Doping in 2017 after initially testing positive in 2015 for nandrolone, which they blamed on eating uncastrated wild boar meat.
In the case, farmer Martin Carefoot said he provided the Furys with wild boar. But he has backtracked in an interview with British newspaper The Mail on Sunday, saying he was offered £25,000 (nearly $31,000) to make up the story in order to aid their case.
Boxing promoter Frank Warren, who currently works with Tyson, has described the farmer’s claims as “outrageous” and “a load of rubbish.”
“We'll leave this with UKAD to look into and don't expect it to go any further,” Warren said.
Asked for comment on the new claims about the Furys’ anti-doping case, UKAD said: “We will always review any potential evidence in relation to any anti-doping offense, and take investigatory action where necessary.”
UKAD urged anyone with information that could be of interest to contact its organisation and said it will only comment on an investigation when it's concluded, and only then if there was a successful prosecution.
Neither Fury has publicly commented on the newspaper story. Tyson’s representatives, MTK Global, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Tyson beat Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas last month to become WBC champion. In November 2015 — after he tested positive for nandrolone, but before he was charged and subsequently handed a ban — he became a WBA, IBF and WBO champion by beating Wladimir Klitschko.
WBC champion Mauricio Sulaiman told The Sun that the issue “does not impact on him (Fury) being our heavyweight world champion” because Fury was “not involved with the WBC” at the time of his case with UKAD.
The 25-year-old Italian has yet to drop a set on his debut at Queen's and although Australian number one De Minaur gave him a good workout he had too much power for his opponent.
Double Olympic gold medallist Grant Hackett calls for abusive coaches in Australian swimming to be ‘weeded out’
Swimming Australia has pledged to set up an independent female panel to investigate after complaints last week about "misogynistic perverts" by dual Olympic silver medallist Maddie Groves.
The 23-year-old four-time Grand Slam winner said following her withdrawal from the French Open that she was taking some time out of the game as she battles depression and anxiety.