Top Swiss court rejects Attorney General Michael Lauber’s attempt to rejoin investigation into FIFA corruption

In a verdict released on Thursday, the Federal Court upheld the Federal Criminal Court’s order in June that Lauber recuse himself from the federal prosecutors’ probe.

Reuters April 09, 2020 16:35:18 IST
Top Swiss court rejects Attorney General Michael Lauber’s attempt to rejoin investigation into FIFA corruption

Zurich: Switzerland’s top court rejected Attorney General Michael Lauber’s bid to rejoin investigations of corruption in football, refusing to overturn a lower court’s ruling that his closed-door meetings with FIFA’s head had raised the appearance of bias.

Top Swiss court rejects Attorney General Michael Laubers attempt to rejoin investigation into FIFA corruption

Representational image. Reuters

In a verdict released on Thursday, the Federal Court upheld the Federal Criminal Court’s order in June that Lauber recuse himself from the federal prosecutors’ probe.

Lauber has denied wrongdoing and said “conspiracy theories” over his meetings with FIFA President Gianni Infantino and presumptions of dishonesty were harming prosecutorial integrity.

Lauber had been investigating several cases of suspected corruption involving FIFA, based in Zurich, dating back to 2014 and the presidency of Sepp Blatter. The probe treats FIFA as a victim rather than as a suspect.

Lauber had acknowledged two meetings with Infantino in 2016, saying they were intended to help coordinate the investigation. He later acknowledged a third meeting in 2017 after media reports of the encounter emerged.

Lauber had his pay cut for a year after a watchdog found last month he repeatedly told falsehoods and broke a prosecutors’ code of conduct in handling the probe.

A fraud trial of three former senior German football officials and one Swiss over a suspect payment linked to the 2006 World Cup hosted by Germany has already started, but looks on the verge of collapse amid a coronavirus-mandated trial halt as a statute of limitation looms.

Separately, the organisers of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar have strongly denied allegations from the US Department of Justice that bribes were paid to secure votes for the hosting rights to the tournament.

Suspicion and rumours have long surrounded both the 2010 vote by FIFA’s executive to hand the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 tournament to Qatar.

Updated Date:

also read

Premier League: Clubs given green light to apply for safe standing from 2022-23 season
Football

Premier League: Clubs given green light to apply for safe standing from 2022-23 season

Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham took part in a safe standing pilot in the second half of last season, with second-tier Cardiff also joining the experiment.

Manisha Kalyan joins Cypriot champions Apollon Ladies FC
Sports

Manisha Kalyan joins Cypriot champions Apollon Ladies FC

Manisha Kalyan is set to become the first Indian to play in UEFA Women's Champions League.

Ireland women's football coach Vera Pauw says she was raped
Football

Ireland women's football coach Vera Pauw says she was raped

Pauw also said that, as a player and as a coach with the Dutch national team, she was exposed to “systematic sexual abuse, abuse of power, bullying, intimidation, isolation and framing.”