Tiger Woods and caddie sued by spectator who claimed he was shoved at 2018 Valspar Championship

A Florida man has filed a lawsuit against Tiger Woods and his caddie Joe LaCava alleging he sustained injuries after LaCava shoved him when he tried to take a selfie with the golfer in the background at a tournament in 2018.

Reuters April 09, 2020 12:59:18 IST
Tiger Woods and caddie sued by spectator who claimed he was shoved at 2018 Valspar Championship

A Florida man has filed a lawsuit against Tiger Woods and his caddie Joe LaCava alleging he sustained injuries after LaCava shoved him when he tried to take a selfie with the golfer in the background at a tournament in 2018.

According to the civil complaint, which was filed on Tuesday in Pinellas County, Florida, Brian Borruso alleges the incident took place during the third round of the Valspar Championship at Innisbrook after Woods’s tee shot landed near him.

Tiger Woods and caddie sued by spectator who claimed he was shoved at 2018 Valspar Championship

File image of Tiger Woods. AP

Borruso, who is seeking more than $30,000 in damages, says he stumbled and fell into the crowd of spectators after being shoved by LaCava, ultimately causing injuries he described in the lawsuit as “permanent or continuing.”

Woods, who was competing in only his fourth PGA Tour event after a long layoff following spinal fusion surgery in April 2017, was named as a defendant because he employs LaCava, who last year was inducted into the Caddie Hall of Fame.

Both the agent and spokesman for 15-times major champion Woods did not immediately respond to Reuters when asked to comment. LaCava could not be reached for comment.

The lawsuit says United States Golf Association rules state golfers are responsible for their caddie’s actions during a round and that Woods “failed in his duty as he freely allowed” LaCava to negligently use force.

Updated Date:

also read

PGA Tour confirms schedule overhaul, prize money boost to combat LIV Golf series
Sports

PGA Tour confirms schedule overhaul, prize money boost to combat LIV Golf series

The moves are the PGA Tour's most significant response yet to the rise of LIV Golf, which launched earlier this month.

Rory McIlroy takes jab at 'duplicitous' LIV Golf series rebels
Sports

Rory McIlroy takes jab at 'duplicitous' LIV Golf series rebels

Several golfers, notably former World No 1 Dustin Johnson, joined the lucrative LIV Golf series after previously insisting they remained committed to the PGA Tour.

Matthew Wolff, Carlos Ortiz among latest to join Saudi-backed LIV Golf
Sports

Matthew Wolff, Carlos Ortiz among latest to join Saudi-backed LIV Golf

LIV events feature the richest purses in golf history at $25 million with the unique series including shot gun starts plus team and individual formats.