World Cup 2014 is the 20th edition of the tournament which started in 1930 — below is a graphic which gives you historical highlights of the quadrennial extravaganza:
- THREE times the Netherlands have reached the final and not won it.
- FIVE countries have hosted two World Cups: Germany, Brazil, Mexico, France and Italy.
- SIX teams have won the tournament as host countries. Can Brazil make it seven?
- SEVEN times the tournament has been hosted in Latin America and the winner has always been from the region.
- EIGHT teams have won the World Cup and they have all qualified for the 2014 edition.
- NINE titles have been won by Latin American teams.
- TEN times Brazil have reached the semi-finals.
- FIFTEEN goals have been scored by Brazil's Ronaldo in World Cups.
- TWENTY-THREE countries have qualified for just one World Cup -- failing the rest of the times.
- THIRTY-SIX years later, the World Cup comes to Latin America — for the first time since Argentina 1978.
- EIGHTY-ONE teams have taken part in the World Cup.
Updated Date: Jun 10, 2014 19:09:00 IST