Bangladesh left-arm pacer Mustafizur Rahman, who is all of 19 years old, has set the cricketing world on fire by becoming the first bowler in history to take 11 wickets in his first two ODIs.
Mustafizur also became the just the second bowler after Zimbabwe's Brian Vitori to take five or more wickets in the first two one-day matches of his career. In doing so, he has become an overnight sensation as Bangladesh beat India for the first time in an ODI series.
Since that is a lot of firsts, here are ten things you should know about Bangladesh's newest cult hero:
1) Born in Satkhira district of Bangladesh, Mustafizur Rahman started off as a batsman playing with the tennis ball before switching to left-arm fast bowling.
2) He first attracted attention in an Under-17 tournament in his hometown and came to Dhaka for a trial at a fast-bowling camp at the Shere Bangla National Stadium.
3) He was soon enrolled in Bangladesh Cricket Board's pace foundation where he caught the eye of coaches. He was called on to bowl in the Bangladesh U-19 nets and then became a regular member of the U-19 side.
4) Mustafizur's family played a big role in shaping his career. His elder brother Mokhlesur Rahman used to ferry him on his bike everyday to the training center, which was 40 kms away from his house.
5) Mustafizur made his his first-class debut for Khulna division in April 2014. He took just one wicket against Dhaka Division.
6) But he improved as the season went on and picked up 26 wickets at an impressive average of 18.03 in his first first-class season.
7) His big break came when he was included in the Bangladesh squad for the one-off T20I against Pakistan. There were a lot of eyebrows raised with the fast-tracking of his career but he finished with figures of 2 for 20 from four overs, having taken the wickets of Mohammad Hafeez and Shahid Afridi.
8) Mustafizur's most dangerous weapon - the slower offcutter - was developed during his U-19 days while practicing in the the nets with the Bangladesh team. "One day in the U-19 nets Bijoy bhai (Anamul Haque) asked me if I could bowl him a slower cutter, I tried it for the first time and I got him out. That's when I started bowling that delivery," Mustafizur told reporters.
9) He was handed his ODI bebut against India on 18 June, 2015 and he started off in blistering fashion with figures of 5 for 50. He went one better on Sunday, taking 6 for 43, earning him the Man of the Match award on both the occasions.
10) Mustafizur's idol is banned Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Amir. "I just follow the bowling of Mohammad Amir. His spot-fixing allegations don't bother me," he said.
Credit to ESPNcricinfo and CricketNext
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
Updated Date: Jun 22, 2015 11:55:29 IST