Sri Lanka opener Tillakaratne Dilshan to retire after third ODI against Australia

Sri Lanka's opening batsman Tillakaratne Dilshan will retire from One Day International cricket after the third ODI against Australia in Dambulla

AFP August 25, 2016 16:12:20 IST
Sri Lanka opener Tillakaratne Dilshan to retire after third ODI against Australia

Colombo: Sri Lanka's opening batsman Tillakaratne Dilshan will retire from One Day International cricket after the third ODI against Australia in Dambulla, the island's governing body for the sport said on Thursday.

Sri Lanka opener Tillakaratne Dilshan to retire after third ODI against Australia

File photo of Tillakaratne Dilshan. AFP

Sri Lanka Cricket said it would dedicate the match on August 28 against Australia to the 39-year old Dilshan for his "invaluable contribution to his mother land".

SLC in a statement extended its appreciation to the batsman wishing him all the best. There was no immediate comment from Dilshan.

The aggressive right-hander retired from Test cricket in October 2013 after playing 87 matches and scoring 5,492 runs. He has also taken 39 Test wickets.

Sunday's ODI will be his 330th. So far, he has scored 10,248 runs in the 50-overs format of the game and taken 106 wickets.

 

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood crucial to beating India, believes former Australia seamer Brett Lee
First Cricket News

Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood crucial to beating India, believes former Australia seamer Brett Lee

Brett Lee feels Australia's pace unit will play a central role in their home campaign against India later this summer, and added that the artificial substance could be used to make the Kookaburra ball swing more with the saliva ban in place.

CA welcomes 'clarity' on ICC T20 World Cup 2020 postponement, not bothered by 2021 vs 2022 debate
First Cricket News

CA welcomes 'clarity' on ICC T20 World Cup 2020 postponement, not bothered by 2021 vs 2022 debate

The ICC postponed the T20 World Cup scheduled in Australia for October-November, acknowledging the logistical challenges of hosting 16 teams amid COVID-19 restrictions.

Peter Handscomb hurt after omission from Australia's limited-overs squad, eyes spot in 2023 World Cup
First Cricket News

Peter Handscomb hurt after omission from Australia's limited-overs squad, eyes spot in 2023 World Cup

Peter Handscomb was earlier this month left out of Australia’s preliminary 26-man squad for their provisional white ball tour of England in September.