Spanish tennis player Feliciano Lopez denies match-fixing allegations during Wimbledon 2017

Spanish tennis player Feliciano Lopez categorically denied a report that a match he and doubles partner Marc Lopez lost at Wimbledon in 2017 was fixed.

Agence France-Presse June 20, 2019 10:23:00 IST
Spanish tennis player Feliciano Lopez denies match-fixing allegations during Wimbledon 2017
  • Spanish tennis player Feliciano Lopez categorically denied a report that a match he and doubles partner Marc Lopez lost at Wimbledon in 2017 was fixed.

  • An anti-corruption investigation that has rocked Spanish football came across recordings where fixers claim the Lopezs would lose to Australian pair Matt Reid and John-Patrick Smith.

  • Feliciano Lopez is partnering Andy Murray on his return to tennis in the doubles at Queen's Club this week.

London: Spanish tennis player Feliciano Lopez categorically denied a report that a match he and doubles partner Marc Lopez lost at Wimbledon in 2017 was fixed.

Spanish tennis player Feliciano Lopez denies matchfixing allegations during Wimbledon 2017

File image of Spain's Feliciano Lopez. Reuters

Spanish newspaper El Confidencial reported on Wednesday that an anti-corruption investigation that has rocked Spanish football came across recordings where fixers claim the Lopezs would lose to Australian pair Matt Reid and John-Patrick Smith.

The Spanish duo, won the 2016 French Open title together, lost in four sets.

Earlier in the tournament, Feliciano Lopez had retired from his singles match against France's Adrian Mannarino with a foot injury.

Feliciano Lopez is partnering Andy Murray on his return to tennis in the doubles at Queen's Club this week.

"I feel it is extremely important to come to you and absolutely deny any link with the events described in relation to the allegations of match fixing," Feliciano Lopez said after winning his opening singles match at Queen's.

"Unfortunately all tennis players are public figures and we are exposed to having our good name used beyond our control.

"For that reason I will do everything within my power to defend myself against any such false accusations.

"Marc and I had immediately contacted the Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) to fully cooperate and they have confirmed that there had been no investigation about that match at Wimbledon 2017.

"We have full faith in the TIU and the role they play protecting our sport."

In a statement, Marc Lopez said: "I have never met or had any relationship with such people mentioned in the press."

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Former US Open champion Bianca Andreescu to miss remainder of 2020 season to focus on 'health and training'
Sports

Former US Open champion Bianca Andreescu to miss remainder of 2020 season to focus on 'health and training'

Andreescu, who beat Serena Williams at Flushing Meadows 12 months ago to become Canada's first Grand Slam singles champion, has not played a match since hurting her knee last October at the WTA Finals in Shenzhen.

Professional tennis player, former cricketer Ashleigh Barty wins golf tournament in COVID-19 break
Sports

Professional tennis player, former cricketer Ashleigh Barty wins golf tournament in COVID-19 break

Barty proved she has what it takes on a course designed by Greg Norman, claiming the Brookwater Golf Club women's title near Brisbane with a commanding 7 and 5 triumph in the matchplay final.

Italian Open 2020: Simona Halep wins first title in Rome after Karolina Pliskova retires injured
Sports

Italian Open 2020: Simona Halep wins first title in Rome after Karolina Pliskova retires injured

World number two Halep, 28, was competing in her third Rome WTA final, having finished runner-up in 2017 and 2018 on the clay at the Foro Italico.