South Africa vs New Zealand: First test ends in stalemate after poor conditions prevent play
The 1stTest between South Africa and New Zealand at Durban ended in a draw on Tuesday after poor conditions prevented play.
Durban: The first Test between South Africa and New Zealand at Durban ended in a draw Tuesday after poor conditions prevented play, setting up a series-deciding final match beginning at the weekend.
No play took place after rain fell during the lunch break on the second day on Saturday, when New Zealand were on 15 for two in reply to South Africa's first innings total of 263.
Rain fell throughout the rest of Saturday and into early Sunday morning and further play was ruled out on days three, four and five because of a wet, soft outfield which the umpires decided would be dangerous for players.
By Monday, the weather had cleared and there was no further rain but the outfield conditions did not improve sufficiently for play to resume.
The series now hinges on the second and final Test starting at Centurion on Saturday.
Cricket South Africa chief executive Haroon Lorgat in part blamed unseasonal rain and a re-laid outfield for the loss of play at the Kingsmead ground.
He said on Monday the outfield had been relaid in June following complaints by players about conditions during a Twenty20 international and a one-day international there in August 2015, also involving New Zealand.
"However, the unseasonal rain at this time of year impacted our preparations of the newly laid outfield," he added.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
Though New Zealand is among the least affected nations by the pandemic, possible travel restrictions there and around the world at that time make the event a bigger logistical challenge.
South Africa fill spot vacated by India, announce 24-member women’s squad for England tour in September
The BCCI may have decided against their women's team travelling to England citing rising COVID-19 cases in India but 24-member South African women's team is certainly on course for the proposed tour in September.
AB de Villiers was in line to make international comeback, take part in T20 World Cup, says Quinton de Kock
The event was scheduled in Australia in October-November. De Villiers retired in 2018 but speculations over his return refuse to die down.