Serie A: Juventus manager Maurizio Sarri not intervening in Cristiano Ronaldo's free kick dilemma
Ronaldo has taken 28 free kicks for Juventus and has failed to score. Seven were saved, two missed the target and a remarkable 19 went straight into the wall
Ronaldo wasted two attempts during Tuesday's Champions League match against Lokomotiv Moscow, prompting a wave of criticism on social media
Juventus has two other expert free kick specialists in Miralem Pjanic and Paulo Dybala
Sarri gave little attention to the problem when asked about it at a news conference on Friday
Milan: Juventus coach Maurizio Sarri will not intervene to stop Cristiano Ronaldo taking free kicks within scoring range, he said Friday, despite the Portuguese forward’s dismal record for the Turin side.
According to the website Calciomercato, Ronaldo has taken 28 free kicks for Juventus since he joined the club before the start of last season and failed to score with any of them. Seven were saved, two missed the target and a remarkable 19 went straight into the wall.
He wasted two more attempts during Tuesday’s Champions League match against Lokomotiv Moscow, prompting a wave of criticism on social media and in Juventus blogs, especially as the team has two other expert free kick specialists — Miralem Pjanic and Paulo Dybala.
“The free kicks? We have two right-footed options on the pitch: him (Pjanic) and Ronaldo. So they will have to decide among themselves who takes them, as happens in just about any other side,” he said.
The 34-year-old had a similarly poor record with Portugal, failing with his first 44 attempts at European Championship and World Cup tournaments before finally breaking his duck in the 3-3 draw with Spain at the World Cup last year.
Sarri said that Ronaldo would have to rest at some point, but could not say when.
“Even he will have to take a break, but I don’t know when,” said the coach. “I speak to him every day, about how he feels on the pitch and (about) the numbers that come from the doctors and fitness coaches at the end of the match. We will make the decision based on how he feels.”
Former Lazio boss and Italy international Inzaghi, 45, has signed a two-year deal at the San Siro.
New allegations about cyber hacking, document theft and attorney misconduct are being raised to block the woman’s bid for another payout.
Postponed 12 months ago because of the pandemic, Euro 2020 is being played for the first time all across the continent, with 11 cities from as far apart as Seville to Baku hosting matches.