Serie A: Juventus drop Paulo Dybala, Weston McKennie and Arthur Melo from Turin derby for breaking COVID-19 protocols

The dropped trio were reported to have been fined by police who were called by neighbours to the lockdown get-together at US midfielder McKennie's Turin home on Wednesday night.

Agence France-Presse April 02, 2021 20:40:19 IST
Serie A: Juventus drop Paulo Dybala, Weston McKennie and Arthur Melo from Turin derby for breaking COVID-19 protocols

File image of Juventus' American midfielder Winston McKennie. AP

Rome: Paulo Dybala, Weston McKennie and Arthur Melo have been dropped for Juventus' local derby with Torino after breaking coronavirus rules by attending a dinner party, coach Andrea Pirlo said Friday.

"The three players concerned have not been selected, they will return to work at a later time, we'll see about when," Pirlo told reporters ahead of Saturday's Serie A clash.

"This sort of stuff has been going on for years, but when you're not allowed it shouldn't happen, both because of what's going on in the world and what's happening with the team."

Pirlo will also be without defenders Leonardo Bonucci and Merih Demiral for Saturday's match at the Stadio Olimpico Grande Torino following positive COVID-19 tests.

The dropped trio were reported to have been fined by police who were called by neighbours to the lockdown get-together at US midfielder McKennie's Turin home on Wednesday night.

The three players, who all missed international call-ups with injuries, could also face sanctions from Juve.

On Thursday Dybala apologised for the incident, although he said that he had simply "stayed out for dinner" and insisted that the gathering "wasn't a party".

Updated Date:

also read

ECB blame loss of £16.1 million on coronavirus pandemic, insist early action helped avoid 'far worse scenario'
First Cricket News

ECB blame loss of £16.1 million on coronavirus pandemic, insist early action helped avoid 'far worse scenario'

The ECB said revenue losses across English cricket as a whole, after a year of playing matches behind closed doors, amounted to more than £100 million.

Sachin Tendulkar donates Rs 1 crore to procure oxygen concentrators as India battles second wave of COVID-19
First Cricket News

Sachin Tendulkar donates Rs 1 crore to procure oxygen concentrators as India battles second wave of COVID-19

Tendulkar, who had spent some time in hospital himself after testing positive for the dreaded infection last month, also took to Twitter to praise the initiative.

Sprinter Yohan Blake urges Indians to stay safe as country battles surge in COVID-19 cases
Sports

Sprinter Yohan Blake urges Indians to stay safe as country battles surge in COVID-19 cases

The COVID-19 carnage across India has shaken the country to its core with over three lakh fresh daily cases. On Wednesday the daily death toll surpassed the 3,000 mark for the first time.