Serie A: Inter Milan sack Luciano Spalletti as manager with former Juventus coach Antonio Conte poised to take over

Luciano Spalletti has left Inter Milan, the Serie A club announced, with former Italy manager Antonio Conte set to be announced as the club's new coach.

Agence France-Presse May 30, 2019 16:05:17 IST
Serie A: Inter Milan sack Luciano Spalletti as manager with former Juventus coach Antonio Conte poised to take over
  • Luciano Spalletti has left Inter Milan, the Serie A club announced, with former Italy manager Antonio Conte set to be announced as the club's new coach.

  • Spalletti's exit comes despite sealing Inter's Champions League berth for a second consecutive year on the final day of the Serie A season last Sunday.

  • Antonio Conte is reported to have already agreed a three-year deal reportedly worth nine million euros plus bonuses per season to replace Spalletti.

Milan: Luciano Spalletti has left Inter Milan, the Serie A club announced on Thursday, with former Italy manager Antonio Conte set to be announced as the club's new coach.

"Luciano Spalletti is no longer head coach of the first team," Inter said in a statement. "The club wishes to thank Spalletti for his work and the results achieved together."

Serie A Inter Milan sack Luciano Spalletti as manager with former Juventus coach Antonio Conte poised to take over

Inter Milan have sacked coach Luciano Spalletti. Reuters/Massimo Pinca

Spalletti's exit comes despite sealing Inter's Champions League berth for a second consecutive year on the final day of the Serie A season last Sunday.

But he paid with his job for failing to win any silverware during his two-year spell with the Chinese-owned club, as the 18-time Serie A champions search for a first trophy since the Coppa Italia in 2011.

Inter Milan chairman Steven Zhang paid tribute to the 60-year-old who returned the three-time European winners to the Champions League after a seven-year absence this season.

"A coach, a teacher, a friend," Zhang wrote on Instagram with a photo of himself alongside Spalletti.

"You have always given your best, either rain or shine. This 2 years of adventure means so much for Inter and for me personally.

"We will never forget your dedication to this team, and we all thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Once you are the coach of Inter, you would be always my coach. Grazie Mister Spalletti."

Former Italy and Chelsea coach Conte is reported to have already agreed a three-year deal reportedly worth nine million euros ($10 million) plus bonuses per season to replace Spalletti.

The 49-year-old Conte will be officially announced as the new coach on Friday, Gazzetta Dello Sport reported.

Conte won the first three of Juventus' eight straight Serie A titles and the Premier League and FA Cup with Chelsea.

Spalletti took over at Inter in mid-2017 having previously coached Zenit Saint Petersburg and Roma.

But it was a season of highs and lows with the club eliminated at the group stage of the Champions League in which they were drawn with Barcelona and Tottenham.

They fell in the last 16 of the Europa League.

Updated Date:

also read

Serie A: Real Madrid midfielder Brahim Diaz rejoins AC Milan on two-year loan
Sports

Serie A: Real Madrid midfielder Brahim Diaz rejoins AC Milan on two-year loan

He scored two goals in 21 games in Madrid before joining Milan last season on loan, scoring seven goals in 39 appearances for the northern Italian outfit.

Serie A: AC Milan sign defender Fode Ballo-Toure from Lille on four-year deal
Sports

Serie A: AC Milan sign defender Fode Ballo-Toure from Lille on four-year deal

"AC Milan are delighted to announce the permanent signing of Fode Ballo-Toure from AS Monaco," last season's Serie A runners-up said in a statement.

Chelsea's Olivier Giroud close to signing two-year deal with AC Milan, say reports
Sports

Chelsea's Olivier Giroud close to signing two-year deal with AC Milan, say reports

"Giroud is expected to be in Italy on Thursday to undergo medicals and sign the contract," wrote Sky Sport on its website.