Serie A: Cristiano Ronaldo committed to Juventus despite disappointing Champions League exit, says Massimiliano Allegri
Cristiano Ronaldo is committed to Juventus next season despite his bitter disappointment at the Italian giants Champions League flop, Massimiliano Allegri said.
Cristiano Ronaldo is committed to Juventus next season despite his bitter disappointment at their Champions League flop, Massimiliano Allegri said.
Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldo had been bidding for a sixth Champions League title to add to his four won with Real Madrid and one with Manchester United.
With a 17-point lead over Napoli, Allegri's side are almost certain to lift their 35th league title as they cement their domestic dominance.
Milan: Cristiano Ronaldo is committed to Juventus next season despite his bitter disappointment at the Italian giants' Champions League flop, coach Massimiliano Allegri revealed on Friday.
Allegri's injury-hit side host Fiorentina on Saturday needing just a point to lift their eighth straight Serie A title, days after a shock home 2-1 defeat to Ajax that saw them eliminated 3-2 on aggregate.
"Cristiano is the future of Juventus. He has done very well this year and will do so next season, of course, he is disappointed like all of us but he's calm about it," said Allegri.
"Cristiano has had an extraordinary season and will play tomorrow."
Five-time Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldo had been bidding for a sixth Champions League title to add to his four won with Real Madrid and one with Manchester United.
The 34-year-old joined Juventus from Real last summer in a 100 million-euro ($117 million) deal which runs until 2022, with a reported annual salary of 31 million euros.
He scored six of his teams' 14 Champions League goals this season and has 19 so far in Serie A, four behind leading scorer Fabio Quagliarella.
"Ronaldo's arrival did not give us any certainty of winning the Champions League," continued Allegri.
"Barcelona play a semi-final this year for the first time after four years and they have (Lionel) Messi. Football is not just about individuals.
"We have to put the disappointment of the elimination in the Champions League behind us."
Injuries have hit Juventus hard ahead of the weekend's clash, with Sami Khedira announcing yesterday that he is set to have season-ending knee surgery, while Allegri revealed that key attacker Mario Mandzukic could also miss the rest of the season.
"(Goalkeeper) Mattia Perin is out until the end of the season, as is Sami Khedira and maybe Mario Mandzukic." he said.
Meanwhile, striker Paulo Dybala will be out for three weeks and Douglas Costa and Martin Caceres for 10 days each, while defender Giorgio Chiellini could be back for next week's trip to Inter Milan.
However, with a 17-point lead over Napoli, Allegri's side are almost certain to lift their 35th league title as they cement their domestic dominance despite the continental disappointment.
"The eighth consecutive Scudetto is a source of pride for everyone. Once it's sealed we all have to enjoy it, it wouldn't make sense not to celebrate it."
It is a fifth league title for Conte who won three with Juventus between 2012 and 2014 and one with Chelsea in 2017.
Images were broadcast of Belgium forward Hazard cheerfully chatting with his old team-mates after Wednesday's 2-0 loss at Stamford Bridge, which consigned Madrid to a 3-1 aggregate defeat.
European football weekend: LaLiga title race reaches fever pitch, Bayern Munich on brink and derby in Ligue 1
It might not be a winner-takes-all clash like in 2014, victory could give either Atletico Madrid or Barcelona the momentum needed to go on and claim the title.