Roger Federer says he won't play clay-court season for second straight year, to skip French Open

'I decided not to play the clay season,' said Federer after falling 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (4) to qualifier Thanasi Kokkinakis in the second round of the Miami Masters.

AFP March 25, 2018 18:16:31 IST
Roger Federer says he won't play clay-court season for second straight year, to skip French Open

Miami: Roger Federer won't go for a 21st Grand Slam title at the French Open, with the 36-year-old Swiss great saying Saturday he'll skip the clay-court season.

Roger Federer says he wont play claycourt season for second straight year to skip French Open

Roger Federer waves to the crowd after his loss to Thanasi Kokkinakis. AP

Federer confirmed the plan after falling 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (4) to Australian qualifier Thanasi Kokkinakis in the second round of the Miami Masters.

"I decided not to play the clay season," said Federer, who won his 20th Grand Slam tournament at the Australian Open in January, but will lose the world number one ranking to Rafael Nadal after his shock defeat.

It's the second straight year that Federer will forego a clay-court campaign.

Last year after winning back-to-back tournaments at Indian Wells and Miami he took a break, returning in mid-June at the grass court tournament in Stuttgart.

He lost his first match there, but went on to win at Halle and Wimbledon.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Palermo Ladies Open to go ahead as scheduled even after one player tests positive for COVID-19
Sports

Palermo Ladies Open to go ahead as scheduled even after one player tests positive for COVID-19

Palermo Open organisers, who would not name the player, said she was admitted to a national health facility designated for asymptomatic patients with COVID-19.

Smaller crowds, bio-bubble for players: Australian Open organisers chalk out plan to host 2021 edition
Sports

Smaller crowds, bio-bubble for players: Australian Open organisers chalk out plan to host 2021 edition

Tennis Australia chief executive Craig Tiley will be looking at the running of both the US Open and delayed French Open to help plan contingencies for Australian Open 2021.

US Open 2020: India's Sumit Nagal gets direct entry into singles main draw of Grand Slam
Sports

US Open 2020: India's Sumit Nagal gets direct entry into singles main draw of Grand Slam

It will be Nagal's second appearance at the US Open, starting 31 August, and he is the only Indian in the men's field with Prajnesh Gunneswaran, ranked 132, missing out.