Rio Olympics doctor fiasco: Vijay Goel says government will do everything to prevent reoccurrence

We will examine whether the person fulfils the criteria before permitting them for events like the Olympics,' Goel told Times Now news channel.

IANS May 20, 2017 17:22:57 IST
Rio Olympics doctor fiasco: Vijay Goel says government will do everything to prevent reoccurrence

New Delhi:Union Sports Minister Vijay Goel, while taking note of the reports that doctors without requisite qualifications were sent to the Rio Olympics, said on Saturday that the government will seek complete details before sending anyone to such events in future.

"We will ask the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) to submit resumes, expertise of contingents and other details of the people accompanying Indian athletes. We will examine whether the person fulfils the criteria before permitting them for events like the Olympics," Goel told Times Now news channel.

Rio Olympics doctor fiasco Vijay Goel says government will do everything to prevent reoccurrence

File photo of India's sports minister Vijay Goel. AFP

He said the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is probing two doctors, Pawan Deep Singh and RS Negi, who were allegedly sent to last year's Olympics with the 118-member Indian contingent without having the required qualifications.

The CBI has initiated a preliminary enquiry into allegations of nepotism and favouritism against some IOA officials in sending two medical professionals with the Indian team to the Rio Olympics last year.

It is alleged that Singh and Negi did not have the requisite qualification and experience but were sent to the games from 24 July, 2016 to 23 August , 2016 with the Indian contingent.

With inputs from PTI

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Formula 1 2020: Sergio Perez says 'sabbatical' in 2021 still an option after losing spot at Racing Point
Sports

Formula 1 2020: Sergio Perez says 'sabbatical' in 2021 still an option after losing spot at Racing Point

Perez learned earlier this season that he was to be replaced at Racing Point, which becomes Aston Martin with new branding next year, by four-time champion Sebastian Vettel.

Formula 1 2020: Lewis Hamilton should be honoured with knighthood, says McLaren's Lando Norri
Sports

Formula 1 2020: Lewis Hamilton should be honoured with knighthood, says McLaren's Lando Norri

Norris, a rookie driver in his first season with McLaren, told a news conference ahead of the Turkish Grand Prix that the six-time world champion’s achievements were an inspiration to children.

Day after R Roshan Baig's arrest in IMA ponzi scam, CBI searches ex-minister's Bengaluru residence
India

Day after R Roshan Baig's arrest in IMA ponzi scam, CBI searches ex-minister's Bengaluru residence

Baig, who was disqualified as a Congress MLA last year, was lodged in the central prison in Bengaluru after a court remanded him to 14-day judicial custody on Sunday