Madrid: Spanish tennis ace Rafael Nadal has said that he had no intention of missing out on the Olympic Games starting from 5 August in Rio de Janeiro despite battling a wrist injury and fears over the Zika virus.
Nadal has not played since withdrawing from the French Open in May due to a wrist injury, missing out on Wimbledon as he works to recover in time for the Games, reports Xinhua.
He has extra motivation to travel to Rio as he has been chosen to carry the Spanish flag in the opening ceremony -- something he was set to do four years ago in the London 2012 Olympics before injury forced him out.
"It has not entered my head not to be in Rio," Nadal said at an event in his home town of Manacor in Mallorca on Friday.
He was asked about the threat of the Zika virus, which has led several Spanish athletes, such as basketball ace, Pau Gasol to express their concerns, but the 14-time Grand Slam champion said "a situation which is a long way from reality," had been created about the virus.
"I was in Rio in February and I led a perfectly normal life," explained the 30-year-old.
Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.
Updated Date: Jul 09, 2016 17:18:42 IST