Rafael Nadal pulls out of Rotterdam Open on doctor's orders to rest
Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from next week's Rotterdam Open after being advised by doctors to rest, he said on Thursday.
Madrid: Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from next week's Rotterdam Open after being advised by doctors to rest, he said on Thursday.
The Spanish world number six was left out of Spain's Davis Cup squad for their World Group first-round tie against Croatia last weekend due to fatigue.
"I am very sorry to announce I won't be able to play in Rotterdam next week," Nadal said on Facebook.
"After last year's absence from some tournaments, I started this season well and made a significant effort during the Australian swing," he added.
"It's because of this that my doctors have strongly advised me to take it easy and give enough rest to my body before competing again to avoid further injuries. I fully understand that the Dutch fans will be disappointed."
He also thanked tournament director Richard Krajicek for his support and understanding.
A wrist injury cut short Nadal's season in 2016.
His old foe Roger Federer got the better of him in an epic Australian Open final winning 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 3-6 and 6-3.
Nadal should be back at Acapulco in the week beginning 27 February.
(With inputs from agencies)
Medvedev didn't face a break point, and converted three of his seven break chances against the American to wrap things up in 72 minutes.
The rebranded Fed Cup tournament will be held on indoor hard courts at Prague's O2 Arena on 1-6 November after the Czech capital replaced Budapest as the host city earlier this year.
Norrie saved eight of nine break points he faced to reach his fifth ATP final of the year.