Qatar Open: Roger Federer pain-free ahead of return from injury, says retirement 'was never on the cards'

The 39-year-old hasn't played a match since a semi-final defeat to Novak Djokovic at the Australian Open in January 2020 and acknowledged it was unusual for a player of his age to return after injury.

Agence France-Presse March 07, 2021 18:57:02 IST
Qatar Open: Roger Federer pain-free ahead of return from injury, says retirement 'was never on the cards'

File image of Roger Federer. AP

Doha: Roger Federer said retirement was never really an option during his battle with injury, insisting on Sunday the pain was "completely under control" ahead of his return to competitive tennis at this week's Qatar Open.

The 39-year-old hasn't played a match since a semi-final defeat to Novak Djokovic at the Australian Open in January 2020 and acknowledged it was unusual for a player of his age to return after injury.

"I know it's on the rare side for a 40-year-old to come back after a year out," he said at a media briefing in the Qatari capital Doha.

"The important thing is I'm pain-free and injury-free. I'm very happy to be back playing a tournament — I never thought it was going to take this long."

On his rivalry with Rafael Nadal and Djokovic, who this week overtakes his record of 310 weeks as world number one in men's tennis, Federer said "it's a great debate to have".

"I think what Novak and Rafa have done of late is extraordinary — they're not 25 either," he said with a smile.

"Novak did it in Australia, Rafa did it at The French — they seem at their peak which is great for tennis and for the debate.

"My concern is my own health, my own game (more) than the record.

"The guys are unreal, I hope they keep on going and can do everything they possibly want — you want to leave the game with no regrets, and in that respect we all sleep very well at night."

Federer, a 20-time Grand Slam title winner, said that while "expectations are really low" for his campaign in Qatar, he hoped to surprise himself.

"Obviously I'm confident otherwise I wouldn't put myself in this situation," he said ahead of his first fixture which will be on either Tuesday or Wednesday.

"In a vision I see myself with the trophy," he added laughing.

Federer said that the complications that followed his knee surgery motivated him to get back in form.

"What I knew is regardless of whether I came back or not, for my life I wanted to do this rehab anyhow," he said.

"I feel there is still something — retirement was never really on the cards. I don't mind doing rehab."

Looking ahead, Federer said that he was hoping to be back to "100 percent" for Wimbledon in June but had not taken decisions on tournaments before then or the Olympics.

"It's still building up to being fitter, better, faster," he said.

"I'll see about Dubai... then we'll see about the clay-court season."

Updated Date:

also read

Roger Federer poised for clay return after nearly two years, confirmed for Madrid Open
Sports

Roger Federer poised for clay return after nearly two years, confirmed for Madrid Open

Federer hasn't won a tour clay title since Istanbul in 2015; his most recent Masters triumph on the surface was Madrid in 2012.

French Open 2021 postponed by one week, set to begin on 30 May, says report
Sports

French Open 2021 postponed by one week, set to begin on 30 May, says report

Last year's French Open was delayed by four months and held in September and October instead of its longstanding May-June slot.

Monte Carlo Masters: Rafael Nadal 'not worried' about COVID-19 infection after Daniil Medvedev practice
Sports

Monte Carlo Masters: Rafael Nadal 'not worried' about COVID-19 infection after Daniil Medvedev practice

Nadal was not considered a close contact of Medvedev, and therefore not required to quarantine, allowing him to pursue a 12th Monte Carlo title.