Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur appeal Son Heung-min's red for tackle on Everton's Andre Gomes, says British media

Gomes suffered a fracture dislocation to his right ankle in the second half of the 1-1 draw at Goodison Park after landing off balance at speed after the tackle from Son and then colliding with Spurs full-back Serge Aurier.

Reuters November 05, 2019 14:48:10 IST
Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur appeal Son Heung-min's red for tackle on Everton's Andre Gomes, says British media
  • Andre Gomes suffered a fracture dislocation to his right ankle in the second half of the 1-1 draw at Goodison Park after landing off balance at speed after the tackle from Son.

  • Portugal international Gomes had surgery on Monday and Everton said afterwards he was expected to make a full recovery.

  • Son will be banned for Tottenham's next three Premier League matches against Sheffield United, West Ham and Bournemouth if the appeal is unsuccessful.

Tottenham Hotspur have appealed the red card shown to striker Son Heung-min for the tackle that led to Everton midfielder Andre Gomes suffering a horrific ankle injury in their Premier League match on Sunday, British media have reported.

Premier League Tottenham Hotspur appeal Son Heungmins red for tackle on Evertons Andre Gomes says British media

Andre Gomes suffered the injury when he fell awkwardly following a challenge from Tottenham's Son Heung-min. AFP

Gomes suffered a fracture dislocation to his right ankle in the second half of the 1-1 draw at Goodison Park after landing off balance at speed after the tackle from Son and then colliding with Spurs full-back Serge Aurier.

Portugal international Gomes had surgery on Monday and Everton said afterwards he was expected to make a full recovery.

Referee Martin Atkinson showed Son a red card for his tackle on Gomes and the Premier League said after the match that he had been dismissed for “endangering the safety of a player”.

Both the BBC and the Guardian reported that Spurs had appealed to the Football Association asking for the red card to be rescinded.

South Korea international Son, who was in tears in the dressing room after the match, will be banned for Tottenham’s next three Premier League matches against Sheffield United, West Ham and Bournemouth if the appeal is unsuccessful.

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Premier League: Son Heung-min, Lo Celso on target as Tottenham stun Manchester City; Chelsea beat Newcastle United
Sports

Premier League: Son Heung-min, Lo Celso on target as Tottenham stun Manchester City; Chelsea beat Newcastle United

Spurs ended the day on top of the table for the first time in six years as goals from Son Heung-min and Giovani Lo Celso saw off a toothless City at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium.

Son Heung-min's South Korea set to play Qatar despite string of coronavirus cases in squad
Sports

Son Heung-min's South Korea set to play Qatar despite string of coronavirus cases in squad

Tottenham Hotspur striker Son and the rest of the squad had already been confined to their Vienna hotel rooms, when not training, after six players and a staff member tested positive.

Premier League: Chris Wood's early strike seals first win for Burnley; Wolves, Southampton play out draw
Sports

Premier League: Chris Wood's early strike seals first win for Burnley; Wolves, Southampton play out draw

Burnley had failed to win any of their first seven games in the joint worst start to a season in the club's history.