Prajnesh Gunneswaran reaches Orlando ATP Challenger semis, regains India number one spot

The fourth seeded Prajnesh won 6-0, 6-3 against the sixth seeded Kazakh in the quarterfinals of the $52,080 hard court tournament.

Press Trust of India November 20, 2020 23:17:56 IST
Prajnesh Gunneswaran reaches Orlando ATP Challenger semis, regains India number one spot

File image of Prajnesh Gunneswaran AFP

Prajnesh Gunneswaran regained the India number one spot with a dominant straight sets win over Kazakhstan’s Dmitry Popko, carrying him into the Orlando Open semifinals on Friday.

The fourth seeded Indian won 6-0, 6-3 against the sixth seeded Kazakh in the quarterfinals of the $52,080 hard court tournament.

The win will take Prajnesh, who is ranked 137th this week, to at least to 133 in the ATP singles chart even if he does not make the final.

It will push Sumit Nagal to number two as he is placed 136 this week and has not played in the last two weeks. Prajnesh had reached the final of the Cary Challenger last week and has carried his good form into this event.

Popko was off colour as his erratic serve and ground strokes made Prajnesh's job very easy.

Ramkumar Ramanathan had made a first round exit after losing 3-6, 4-6 to local lucky loser Nick Chappell. It was his second consecutive first-round defeat after finishing runner-up at the Eckental Challenger.

Updated Date:

also read

Madrid Open 2022: Jessica Pegula and Ons Jabeur seek breakthrough title
Sports

Madrid Open 2022: Jessica Pegula and Ons Jabeur seek breakthrough title

Ons Jabeur and Jessica Pegula are both chasing their first WTA 1000 title in Madrid. The Tunisian would climb to No 7 with the win, while the American could enter the top-10.

Queen's, Eastbourne to offer full ATP ranking points despite banning Russian players
Sports

Queen's, Eastbourne to offer full ATP ranking points despite banning Russian players

Governing body of men's tennis said "Queen's and Eastbourne will proceed as normal, offering full ATP ranking points."

Daniil Medvedev ready to play Wimbledon if ban on Russian players reversed
Sports

Daniil Medvedev ready to play Wimbledon if ban on Russian players reversed

Daniil Medvedev, 26, said if other players at Geneva Open wanted to discuss the Wimbledon ban, he was happy to talk.