Palermo Ladies Open will bear losses to get WTA Tour going again, admits tournament director

In Palermo there would be strict health protocols for players and the number of spectators at the 1,500-seat centre court would be restricted to 350.

Reuters July 21, 2020 20:59:20 IST
Palermo Ladies Open will bear losses to get WTA Tour going again, admits tournament director

The Palermo Ladies Open will lose money when it gets the WTA Tour going again next month but tournament director Oliviero Palma says they will carry that burden to prove professional tennis can resume safely.

When action on the clay courts of the Sicilian capital gets underway on 3 August, it will mark the first time a tennis ball has been hit in anger across the WTA or ATP Tours since they were suspended in early March because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Palma, the chief executive and director of the event, told Reuters he was proud to be in charge of the tournament that will end the five-month shutdown.

“I honestly feel the responsibility to show the world that you can play tennis, but using all kinds of precautions,” he said by email.

The WTA International tournament offers 280 rankings points to the champion, compared to 1,000 for the winner of a Premier level event, and would usually attract only a modest field.

Not this year, however.

“The draw is insane, almost like a Premier,” said Palma, with a host of players in the top 20, including two-times Grand Slam champion Simona Halep, set to participate.

“I believe players and the WTA have faith in us, but also in Sicily, a place that, touch wood, we can affirm is COVID-19 free.”

Italy was the first European country to be hit hard by the novel coronavirus but the number of daily new infections being reported is a fraction of those seen in late March. Over 3,000 people contracted the virus in Sicily but most have recovered.

Several exhibition events have been staged during the shutdown, including Novak Djokovic’s Adria Tour charity event, which was played in front of big crowds in Serbia and Croatia.

Palma said he was “disappointed” with images of players embracing at the net and partying during that event, which was heavily criticised after a lack of health precautions saw Djokovic and several other players tested positive for COVID-19 .

In Palermo there would be strict health protocols for players and the number of spectators at the 1,500-seat centre court would be restricted to 350, he added.

“All players and coaches will undergo ... tests before they come, as they arrive and every four days,” said Palma, adding there would be a smaller team of ball boys and girls, and linesmen.

Even with a reduced prize pot — down $27,500 from last year’s $250,000 — organisers face a financial shortfall from hosting the tournament.

“The tournament will incur economic losses this year, but we will do an evaluation over 2020 and 2021, hoping to recover the losses next season,” said Palma.

“However, we knew we couldn’t lose such an opportunity.”

Updated Date:

also read

Facilitating legitimate travel a top priority: American diplomat on allowing Indian students to go to US
India

Facilitating legitimate travel a top priority: American diplomat on allowing Indian students to go to US

In view of surging COVID-19 infections, President Joe Biden authorised a travel ban for certain non-immigrants from India under a Presidential Proclamation that came into effect on 4 May

Narendra Modi calls for 'one earth one health' approach at G7 summit's outreach session
India

Narendra Modi calls for 'one earth one health' approach at G7 summit's outreach session

In his address, Modi sought the support of the G7 countries for a proposal moved at the WTO by India and South Africa, for patent waiver on Covid related technologies

'Need transparency': WHO chief asks China to cooperate with investigation into origins of COVID-19
World

'Need transparency': WHO chief asks China to cooperate with investigation into origins of COVID-19

Recently, the calls to investigate further the origins of the virus have intensified. President Biden has also ordered a fresh US intelligence inquiry into the origins of the pandemic