Palermo Ladies Open: Simona Halep's participation in doubt after Italy's mandatory quarantine order

Italian Health Minister Roberto Speranza said on Friday people who have been in Romania and Bulgaria in the past 14 days will be quarantined upon arrival in Italy, a move aimed at preventing the importation of COVID-19 cases.

Reuters July 25, 2020 11:12:45 IST
Palermo Ladies Open: Simona Halep's participation in doubt after Italy's mandatory quarantine order

The upcoming Palermo Ladies Open could lose its biggest draw in world No 2  Simona Halep after Italy decided to impose a mandatory quarantine of 14 days for people coming from Romania and Bulgaria amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Italian Health Minister Roberto Speranza said on Friday people who have been in Romania and Bulgaria in the past 14 days will be quarantined upon arrival in Italy, a move aimed at preventing the importation of COVID-19 cases.

Palermo will mark the first professional tennis event across the WTA and men’s ATP Tours since early March with action scheduled to get underway on the clay courts of the Sicilian capital from 3 August.

Tournament director Oliviero Palma said organisers have written an urgent letter to Speranza, asking for exemption for tennis players taking part in the event.

“The provision would penalise a player like (Romanian) Simona Halep, world’s number two and Wimbledon’s reigning champion, who wouldn’t take part in Palermo’s tournament anymore,” Palma said in a statement.

Italy was the first European country to be hit hard by the novel coronavirus but the number of daily new infections being reported is a fraction of those seen in late March. The country has recorded over 35,000 deaths from the virus.

Palermo will have strict health precautions and all players will undergo COVID-19 tests before they come, on arrival and every four days subsequently.

“We’re convinced that the health protocols adopted by the WTA are so strict to guarantee the safety and health not only of athletes, yet also of all the various workers involved in the event,” said Palma.

“I’m convinced that there are all the necessary conditions and guarantees to give a derogation for all tennis players coming from Romania or Bulgaria, in order to avoid their quarantine and, hence, their retirement from the tournament.”

Updated Date:

also read

Tokyo Olympics 2020: Britain's Dan Evans drops out after positive COVID-19 test
Sports

Tokyo Olympics 2020: Britain's Dan Evans drops out after positive COVID-19 test

Evans had been selected to play in the singles in Tokyo along with reigning Olympic champion Andy Murray and to partner Neal Skupski in the doubles.

Tokyo Olympics 2020: Britain's Johanna Konta to miss Games due to COVID-19
Sports

Tokyo Olympics 2020: Britain's Johanna Konta to miss Games due to COVID-19

The Australian-born Konta competed in the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in 2016, saying Tuesday it was "one of my most treasured memories from my career so far."

Tokyo Olympics 2020: Refugee team's arrival delayed after official tests positive for COVID-19
Sports

Tokyo Olympics 2020: Refugee team's arrival delayed after official tests positive for COVID-19

Tests on 26 of the 29 displaced athletes participating at the Games and 11 officials were conducted before their flight to Tokyo after a welcome event in the Qatari capital.